Keyless Entry

Redwolf

i have a 90 grand prix and i ve been havin major problems with my locks ever since i got a after market keyless entry installed ...... the fob or buttons on the doors for that matter hardly ever unlocks the drivers door and as far as i can figure the big brown wire inside of the car is either the problem or leads to the problem is that type of wire what runs to the RKE module ? would bad solder cause this kind of problem?

• 2 months later...

Old thread getting a kick in the pants. Haven't had much time to work on my remote, been really low priority, but I had some time today and decided to give it a shot. I wasn't able to do too much, as my desoldering braid sucks and my iron has a huge tip on it, but I was able to reseat the solder, or in some circumstances replace it with some better stuff (hi-tech rosin core from Radio Shack, high quality stuff). Just that helped trememndously though. My remote now ACTUALLY WORKS! Yay, yay, yay, I'm gonna do a little dance.

Of course, in the time elapsed from then to now I lost the ring to my FOB, so I had to improvise with a paper clip. So ghetto looking it's painful, but it works! Yay!

To repeat, re-soldering works. I need to get a better tip and some better braid before I can replace the solder, but just reheating and reseating the solder helps. It'll have to be redone in a while, I know, so I left the box in the trunk unattached to anything for now. Hopefully it won't get banged around too much.