Heads Up Display wierdness...

Stevo

Ok ... lastnight I finally had to get to the root of the problem.

My HUD on my Cutlass at night makes a brief little glow on the windshield whan I key the car up. I had no idea why it was doing this because I was with the idea that it just DIDNT work plain and simple.

So I tried something. I turned off everything and put down the driver side window. I then placed my head on the windshield and looked down into the HUD unit as I keyed on the car.

Everything frikkin works on the hud but it WONT reflect on the windshield. Yes I have a windshield with the HUD sticker on it.

Is there any reason for the HUD no reflecting to the glass? Like the mirror may be dirty? The HUD projection unit is miss-aligned as to no allow for reflection?

Hello,

Yea..it seems out of wack. Does the adjustment cable do anything for ya? I know that only controls the up and down part, perhaps you're off sideways. Try holding a mirror above the hud in the car and see if you can move it around and find the image that way...at least it may give you a direction to look in...

Ben

I place my bets on the HUD position cable being out of whack.

Do you feel any resistance in your HUD position lever? If it moves up & down freely, then there's a problem. Use a mirror and take a look inside the HUD and see if the lever moves the mirror or not.

When I installed the HUDs into both Cutlasses, one thing I had a problem with was the HUD position cable. When I placed the HUD unit in the dash and screwed it down, the plastic nub that moves the mirror didn't make good contact with the cable assembly so the lever would just freewheel and do nothing. What I had to do was seat the nub on the HUD in a different spot on the cable assembly. It's real hard to explain without a picture... but when I did that, the lever worked perfectly.

Can you see the glow clearly on the windshield? That is where the image would be projected. If you think it's positioned incorrectly, remove the HUD and tilt it at different angles to see if the image can be seen.

That was one of thre reasons when i was installing my HUD it had to be a 88- 91 style without cable and with little adjuster right in the HUD, they are bigger but reflection looks better and dont have to run cables to it. BTW i will be posting 92HUD on ebay with cable adjuster pretty soon when i get my camera fixed.