cold air intake syatem

SSPSU93

Hello,

I'm new here to the W-body website. Great site. I have a 95 pontiac grand prix gtp with 120,000 miles with a 3.4l engine. When I get out of grad school I hope to do some major work on my car. So you will be seeing me alot in this forum asking alot of crazy question so bear with me.

Okay my first questions is what is a good cold air intake system for my car, and will this effect my computer at all?

My second question is about the info that you gave about Reading ECM info and code definitions (non OBD-II). I look at the ALDL connector and there is nothing in the B slot . There is a black wire wich leads to the A slot , orange wire to the M slot and a green wire in the I slot. I have a pic of it ,but I am unable to post for you guys to see? So when i use a paper clip and have the key in the on position what wire sould i connect with when using the black because the black is the ground right? If this doesn't work then what should I do?[/img]

No one makes a bolt-on CAI for our cars (minus the 97+ GP's). You'll have to make it yourself, which isn't hard. No, it will not effect the computer.

Secondly, the paperclip ALDL code scanning is for OBD-I only. 94-95 was GM's bastardized "ODB-1.5" system. It's essentually an OBD-I system with an OBD-II connector. It's bullshit and I don't really know anything about it. AutoZone can always check your codes, though.

The popular cold air intake is threw the fenderwell

picture

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436966_98_full.jpg

It requires a battery relocation. there are a number of threads on that. i suggest the search key how to battery relocation keywords

As for the computer. i wouldnt mess with it until you run out of things to mod. I use a hypertech chip and am pleased for a few reasons. my fans kick on at 160*, self adjusting advance timing, and i can manual turn the fans on by simply turning the ignition to the on position.

some good mods that cust less then 100 is the FFP dogbone which improves shifts and play during hard accelerations. and the FFP underdrive pully self explanitory.

I hope i dont jix ya but if your altinator hasnt been changed yet expect to very very soon. not many last beyond 120k miles. That and the T-belts need changed every 60k miles (depends on how you drive) and frequent transmission pan services(30k-60k) are a good thing.

If you dont want to mess with relocating the battery to the trunk, just get a K&N filter. It wont give any noticeable HP, but it'll breathe a little better and you probably see a small increase in MPG (I did). Some guys cut the battery side of the airbox out for more air. It mainly just makes the motor really loud when you get on it. Pretty cool sound. Bascially any intake setup wont net you any large HP gains

EDIT: if you want to post pics you have to host them on the internet and remote link them using the IMG tags. I use fortunecity.com. There are plenty of hosting sites out there