meateater540

this can be my intro psot too, 17 and live in ontario.

its a 93 z34, its 500$ 300 000 KM...

im so close to buying one, all it needs is anew timing belt :Shocked: !. i phoned teh guy today, might go look at it next week, what should i look for under the body, im goona check out the alternator bceause aparent;y they liek to go, as well as a few other things that i already know aobut. Im just really want to know aobut hotspots for large amounts of rust on these cars. oh and how much do you think a complete gasket kit fothe engine would be?

another question is it extrmely diffuclt to time one of thses things? or just...noraml difiult..becuase i was also thinking about rebuilding the engine, it has 300000 kilometeres on it

tranny and alternator but never did, doeither of them wear quickly?

all these questions are coppied from seperate posts form another board, if they dont blend togehter that well, thats why, heres the link as welll.

http://www.ageoflegends.com/~antirice/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4408

any help will be greatly apreciated.

If there are no SES lights than it should be fine. The alternators like to go, but there is no predicting it. One day its perfect, the next you have a low voltage light.

The best thing you can do is corner it, make sure there is no creaking or abnormal flex, and then floor it. If it pulls strong above 3000, then it is probably runnign pretty good.

If there are no SES lights than it should be fine. The alternators like to go, but there is no predicting it. One day its perfect, the next you have a low voltage light.

The best thing you can do is corner it, make sure there is no creaking or abnormal flex, and then floor it. If it pulls strong above 3000, then it is probably runnign pretty good.

im prett sure the timing belt is gone, if i can drive it i will, whats a SES light?

Offer the guy no more than 250 bucks. You can't drive it without a timing belt, so you don't know what you're getting into. I bought a 92 Z34, 240,000kms with a blown T belt for 200. Im using it as a parts car.

Usual rust spots are around the rear fenderwells, the rear bumper beam (behind the plastic) the rockers (behind the side skirts), above the taillamps(open the trunk) and the front edge of the doors.

Timing isn't too hard if you have a bit of mechanical aptitude and can follow instructions.

http://www.60degreev6.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=DOHC&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=12&page=1

You'll have to make a couple of simple tools to do it.

http://www.60degreev6.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=DOHC&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=11&page=1

When you buy your gaskets, get Felpro ones from Canadian Tire its not TOO expensive, a lot cheaper than GM anyways.

I've replaced both the alternator and the tranny on my 93 Z with 180,000kms on it, so if they haven't been replaced on that car, don't be surprised when they need to be fixed.

Hope that somewhat helps.

Matt

I would only buy it if it has a 5-speed. Cause like someone else said, you don't really know what you're getting into.

Rust: check the rocker panels, fender edges, I think those are the worst spots (at least on a Grand Prix).

Gas tank- check to see it's not leaking, or if it's really rusty count on replacing it in the near future.

Brakes are also something that could add up.. brakes on w-bodies suck, especially the rear calipers!

Since it's not driveable you also can't tell (acuratly anyways) if parts such as the wheel bearings are shot.

I guess all I'm saying is that there are lots of Z34 autos out there for cheap that would possibly/probably be cheaper than fixing something you can't even drive yet.

phoned the guy, he bought an engine out of a 92 Z34 and a rebuilt tranny, willing to sell for 1000, im goona assume there was nothign seriously wrong with the chasis considering he bought the engine and tranny for it. I still have to go and look at it and check out the rust situation.

timing is easy, well i guess after youve done it a thousand times its easy, just dont take any shortcuts, do it the proper way or you will be sorry, the alternators last quite a long time in these cars, they have a air cooler hooked up to them because they are behind the engine, and when they do go out there is no warning, there is nothing you can do to tell if its going to go. anyways i say jump on it and get it there good fast cars.

Jake