LuminaRacer05

Yeah, well I used to post here all the time, but my Lumina seemed to be messed up beyond repair. But I would like it to be running right once again. What it does is a loss of power, along with a pretty loud ticking noise coming from the engine, and when u give it about half the gas pedal it just clunks really loud and RPMs fly through the roof, but it goes nowhere. We have replaces the spark plugs, fuel injectors, timing chain, transmission, and a few other minor problems. What else could cause this kind of problem, because I would like to use this as a second car, considering the car in my signature doesn't really get the greatest gas mileage :(

you didn't by chance replace the torque convertor when you replaced the tranny did you?

Also, did you do it, or did a shop do it?? I'm saying... is it possible that a shop hosed you by saying they put a tranny in it when they didn't? I've seen it happen.

My bet is still on the torque convertor if you've replaced the tranny... think about it as if it was a manual... what's the signs of a clutch going out when you know the tranny is OK? rpm through the roof with car not going anywhere... and you know the tranny is good? clutch... what's the "clutch" in an auto (yes, I know an auto has clutches/bands for each gear, but I'm speaking to the 'link' between the engine and tranny)? The torque convertor.

Mike

Wait I dont know anything about Luminas but did they have pushrod engines? I thought so but anyway I had the same noises that you did and I threw a rod :shrug:

But a couple grand put that issue away and brought new ones forth :|

3.1 usually... I first thought bent valve... have seen that on a 3.1 before, but he said it also doesn't go anywhere when you get on the gas... regardless of what may or may not be wrong with the engine, if you give it 1/2 throttle and the rpm goes up, but you don't move... I'm gonna guess it's something with trans... but the trans has been replaced, so my guess would be torque convertor... TQ veins screwed up... making ticking noise as they hit each other every rev, fluid flow fucked up, not able to hold large amounts of power. done.