Hi...(New to W-Body.com)

Redwingvksm

Hello all. Will be getting a Canadian 1989 Buick Regal Grand Sport tomorrow (Some paperwork has to be filled out in Customs). 3.1, Optional Digital Dash, Leather Steeringwheel, etc...

I have never delt with W-Bodies. I am a State certified mechanic in Michigan - so I know how to repair and have extensive knowlege in fixing vehicles - but I don't know the specifics for my newly accquired vehicle.

1. Will a First Gen 3800 be a direct swap w/ the 3.1 (Becides computer/some wiring/ect...)

2. Sound. Man - I had to fix the wiring in one of these suckers. It has the main control unit under the dash. Is there a way to by-pass this EASLIY (I really don't feel like soldering wires) or maybe use it inline with a new Radio?

I'm sure I'll have more - but let me drive it. First ever GM owned. Have always been a Chrysler Man...

:)

well if you are doing a swap do a L67 swap (SC 3800) yes it will bolt to the trans but you will want the 4t65hd, you are a state certified mechanic and you have never delt with W-bodies! where are you working because they are all over here.

also you are a "mechanic" and you drive Chryslers! you must really like fixing junk. get your GM and stick with GM. :wink:

Haha - let the Chrysler jokes rip here...:D

I have delt with W-bodies - but just straight. Never customised one/engine swap/etc... (Most of them here are WT vehicles. All rusted n' busted)

Got lucky with mine (Not a spot of rust anywhere)

I live in Walled Lake, MI. real close to you and I know what is here. I thought you meant "I have never worked on one!" ummm you can do the supercharged 3800 swap with the 4t65hd trans with the pcm and all the custom wiring. but that regal GS will haul some serious ass! where do you work?

Mileage Masters Automotive (In Melvindale) but use to work at Dick Genthe Chevrolet...(Wwwaayyy after the 1st gen W-bodies went out :P)

I live right behind the Huge tire on I-94 to give ya' a really good idea where I live at! :wink:

Hi.

The 3800TPI will swap relatively easily, considering you're experienced, but to tell you the truth, it wouldn't be that much harder to swap in a 3800 Series II N/A (L36) or Series II Supercharged (L67).

Yo, I do Chrysler/GM aswell.

I love my lumina, and I love my Concorde.

Since your a Chrysler guy, any idea how to make the damn diff pin stay put in my cirrus? This will be thr ethird time its worked its way out. I'm about to just tack weld the pinion shaft in place and eleminate the pinall together.

welecome to the insanity :willynilly: :willynilly:

anyhow don has a point, state cert. mechanic who hasen't worked on tons of these cars??? i guess those silly chryslers are keeping you busy :lol:

as for things to look out for. since its a canadian car, its definately seen snow and salt and that good stuff, theres a metal coolant line that runs under the front passenger side framerail that LOVES to rust out, i usually just replace the bad section with heater hose.

and the rear brakes are good for one thing... BREAKING.

and if you have a oil leak check the distributer drive blockoff plate under the TB, theres a O ring that loves to leak, a new seal is avaliable for $2.50 from any GM dealer.

as well, if its a coupe, watchout for the door handles, they break prety easily in the winter. however they are prety cheep and easy to replace.

I live right behind the Huge tire on I-94 to give ya' a really good idea where I live at!

HA! Even I know where that is! I lived in Michigan for a year, Macolm Township. Sad, I can barely even remember where that town is in MI now. I think that tire says "Uniroyal" on it doesn't it?

Oh yeah, Welcome to the site!

Mileage Masters Automotive (In Melvindale) but use to work at Dick Genthe Chevrolet...(Wwwaayyy after the 1st gen W-bodies went out :P)

that's cool as hell....i live in Redford, just outside Detroit, and my girlfriend used to be a leasing agent at Dick Genthe Chevrolet....

...as for things to look out for. since its a canadian car, its definately seen snow and salt and that good stuff, theres a metal coolant line that runs under the front passenger side framerail that LOVES to rust out, i usually just replace the bad section with heater hose...

and the rear brakes are good for one thing... BREAKING.

and if you have a oil leak check the distributer drive blockoff plate under the TB, theres a O ring that loves to leak, a new seal is avaliable for $2.50 from any GM dealer.

as well, if its a coupe, watchout for the door handles...

Heh...

Believe it or not - There isn't a spot of rust anywhere (I sware. If you don't belive me I'll put it up on the hoist and you can see for yourself :P)and that metal line has been replaced when they replaced the engine and trans (With a jasper! Still have the 2 of the 3 years for warantee)

Rear brakes breaking? Can't quite say I've ever come across that. What happens with them? Where do they break at?

And the Dis. "O" ring seal - I've done somany of these. 2.8, 3.1, 3.4's over here love to leak. A hard SOB after it's been like that for a while...

And the Door handle (Driver side) has been replaced once already - and after poking my head around the WWW, that seems to be the main complaint for replacement.

Thanks for all of your help! I'm glad to be a part of this community! Maybe pics this weekend (Friend has a Digital Camera)

:D

Welcome. Add another Michiganian to the list!

you should get kicked off that list for using the term "Michiganian" ....it's "Michigander" :lol:

They both work. Michiganian sounds less retarded :roll:

Rear brakes breaking? Can't quite say I've ever come across that. What happens with them? Where do they break at?

its in the poor design of the rear calliper, they tend to quit functioning properly very quickly. on the bright side they aren't too expensive to replace.

i only had one dodge but it seemed to be much better engineered than the gms ive had. dont get me started on door handles. and to change plugs you need a breaker bar(to pull the engine forward) and small arms

10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag thats all i have to say.