A few Cutlass Convertible questions.

NOHC_WBody

1. How rare are the 3.1/3100 cars?

2. Could you get them with cloth instead of leather?

3. The analog cluster in the later ones, can it be swapped out for the ub3 digital cluster like the base digital cluster can, or is the wiring just completely off?

yes you can swap in a UB3 cluster in the 1989-1994 CS Conv's but with the top down on a sunny day you won't see the digital display

Woulda never realized that, nice one Davis!

3.1 Convertables.........very common

Thank gawd. I'm gonna stay the hell away from a 3.4 car if I can.

i have never seen one with cloth interior

Hmm...maybe swap the cloth seats out of the Gutlass...

yes you can swap in a UB3 cluster in the 1989-1994 CS Conv's but with the top down on a sunny day you won't see the digital display

I never even thought about that....Hmmm you learn something new every day.

There ARE Cloth Interior convertibles. But you'll see most of them on '90-93. On one occasion I saw cloth quad buckets in graphite.

Yeah they are out there. There were a few on eBay not too long ago.

You can spot a 3.1/3100 convertible pretty easily. There could be exceptions, but every 3.4 convertible I've seen came standard with the 5-stars and every 3.1/3100 convertible I've seen came with the sawblades.

I never even thought about that....Hmmm you learn something new every day.

Huh, I never thought about that either. Had I known that in advance, I would have bought a 95 because the digital UB3 cluster is pretty much the only reason I preferred a 94.

Oh well. Maybe I'll do a 95 interior swap rather than a digital UB3 cluster swap.

shawn, you could always just swap in the analog cluster.

It already has the analog cluster, I wanted the digital one. It was the whole reason we bought a 94. I feel cheated. It washing out in sunlight just never occurred to me!

I think I'm going to do a 95 entire dash swap now.

Yep, 94 has a driver side airbag, and YES they block the vents which is one of the huge reasons why the 95 dash would be better. It was something we were willing to put up with to have a digital UB3 cluster, but seeing as how digital is a bad idea in a convertible, now the 94 dash just seems totally pointless. They should never have used an airbag wheel with this dash.

It's one of those last second things GM did....like "Oh shit an airbag MUST be in this car now".

Trust me, the dash vents in the '95+ are excellent. They're HUGE, and you can aim them right at you and it's powerful. Buy my mom's '95 Cutlass Sedan and you can have the interior parts. LOL

Trust me, the dash vents in the '95+ are excellent. They're HUGE, and you can aim them right at you and it's powerful. Buy my mom's '95 Cutlass Sedan and you can have the interior parts. LOL

HA! Tell her I'll give her $300 for it if it has a graphite interior. :) Yeah, I can tell by looking that the vents are in a much better location. With a 95 dash I'd lose HUD and 2 gauges, but if I can find a place to put the DIC, I'd at least have a digital volts gauge, and I think I could rig up a 94-96 GP HUD to fit the Cutlass dash. It'd probably be better just to sell the 94 and buy a 95, but W-bodies aren't exactly easy to sell and 95 triple black convertibles aren't easy to find either.

and 95 triple black convertibles aren't easy to find either.

there's one in the for sale section right now, it already has the l67 swapped into her too :wink:

Yeah, but it's $7k and thousands and thousands of miles away. Now if I could sell mine for $6k I'd be set!