Very Odd Turn Signal Problem

GP1138

I'm thinking this is a wiring problem or something, but anyone else had their dinger module start binging when you have the turn signal on??? My girl was leaving for her class and she pulls back in the driveway after having driven around the block and she tells me the car is binging when she has the turn signal on.

So I take it around the block, and sure enough, when I turn the right hand turn signal on, it starts binging in time with the signal! WTF? I didn't test the left one, but I did try turning the headlights on, and that made the binging stop. WTFS? Odd!

Anyone else experienced this??

if you drive for over 1/4 mile with the turn signal on, it will chime as a reminder to turn it off.

But this was as soon as the turn signal came on, like as I pressed the switch, it started doing it. And it would stop when I turned the headlights on.

i had mine do something similar one day...everytime i turned left my car kept dinging...it did that all the way to work and i was like WTF!?...shut the car off and turned it back on, never had the problem again...so, i dunno what it was... :?

i had mine do something similar one day...everytime i turned left my car kept dinging...it did that all the way to work and i was like WTF!?...shut the car off and turned it back on, never had the problem again...so, i dunno what it was... :?

Hmm.. I didn't try that. That did happen when my car wouldn't shift into OD tho. I turned the car off (on the highway, shifted into Neutral, key off then started again) and it shifted into 4 again. :shrug:

Have you recently changed any of your lamps (parking, tail, turn) ? First thing I would suspect would be a wrong type of lamp being installed. Secondly, some GM's had a "reminder" chime module that warned you for leaving your signal on too long. This module may be faulty and I'm sure you can just remove it without consequence (just don't remove the main chime module...)

Have you recently changed any of your lamps (parking, tail, turn) ? First thing I would suspect would be a wrong type of lamp being installed. Secondly, some GM's had a "reminder" chime module that warned you for leaving your signal on too long. This module may be faulty and I'm sure you can just remove it without consequence (just don't remove the main chime module...)

Hmm. I did just install the wrong kind of tail marker(3157LL vs. 3057LL but that's all Meijer had was the 3157), but that's not the turn signal, that's just the tail. And why would it stop when I turn the headlights on?

Your brake lights are still run through the signal switch, even though the GP's have the separate amber signals. I'd be willing to bet, due to the prongs of the "wrong" lamp not engaging the proper circuit, you're diverting the current elsewhere when you switch on the parking lights. I've seen some wierd shit happen to others' cars in the past when they installed the wrong type of tail lamp. So before you do anything drastic, go buy the correct lamp and install it in place of the wrong one :wink: ...

Your brake lights are still run through the signal switch, even though the GP's have the separate amber signals. I'd be willing to bet, due to the prongs of the "wrong" lamp not engaging the proper circuit, you're diverting the current elsewhere when you switch on the parking lights. I've seen some wierd shit happen to others' cars in the past when they installed the wrong type of tail lamp. So before you do anything drastic, go buy the correct lamp and install it in place of the wrong one :wink: ...

If it does it again, I will. It's not doing it anymore. The tails on the right side keep blowing because there's like a couple cm of water in the bottom. :x I need to take them off when it gets warmer and give them a thorough drying. I might need to re-seal them.

I had the same problem in my 89 Cutlass. I just removed the chime module...problem solved.

Disco Stud, what do you mean by the "main chime module", why can't you remove it? I removed the green box in the under the dash, should I not have done this?

The "main" chime (the one for the headlight, seatbelt, and ignition key reminders) has 7 or 8 terminals on it, whereas the "turn signal" reminder chime has only 4. I suppose you could unplug the main one if you wanted to, but you'd lose your headlight and ignition key reminders. It won't do you any real harm until you forget to shut your lights off and you run down your battery :lol: .

It still sounds to me like the wrong lamp he installed is causing the chime to sound (and it's probably the "main" chime as well...)