Hood Vents

Darksyde

Ok this question may be retarded. But the hood vents on the Z34...what are their actual function. I mean i can see it directs are to the edges of the engine compartmant maybe towards brakes..... I was just thinking of making a air box and using them as my inlets.....just wondering if this will diminish any important function they have

arnt they the same as the TGP hood vents, as i mean the same purpose, to allow heat form the engine out? U can tell they let out alot of heat, when there clogged with snow, they melt fast, the whole hood could be coverd and have the luvers compleltly snow free

i would think then its just for looks, they do look cool IMO, cause i dont think heat escapes at high speeds, so it wouldnt go far anyway, so i wouldnt worry about it, 3.4 w/o the vents do just fine so...

They are heat extractors. Custom fabricating an airbox out of them will due you no good, since they are exits for air, not entrances. As air pushes into your bay, through the radiator, it is a place for it to escape. They actually work really well. They also serve as pressure relievers. If you are familiar with the Fiero, their headlights tend to pop up unexpectently at higher speeds. This is as a result of rpessure buildup in the forward compartment. Although our headlights won't "pop up", same concept applies.

To respond to your question about air gettinng to the brakes / wheels : Thats not even possible, since hot air is less dense than cool air and will rise. Therefore, any cool air going to your brakes will never come through those vents. The vents are extractors, as warm air rises through them.

Drew

ya know common sense would have told me it was a release of air/pressure.... :bash:

ah well my second idea (which would probably work better) was getting a nascar intake duct($17) and mount it in the center of the ground effects up front and run a hose to the intake i have.....

well, dont the 3.4's w/o the Vents get along just fine too?

Yes they do. Mostly it was appearence, but they also serve a purpose. And with the under plates removed, they keep enderhood temps down quite a bit. But they are not essential by any means, therefor they were installed primarily for cosmetic reasons.

I thought i read somewhere that the vents actually help with the aerodynamics?

Probably somewhat. As said, they relieve underhood air pressure, which I think at higher speeds would want to lift the front end (very slightly). With vents, the upward and backward force of the air has a much quicker escape, possibly decreasing and slight lift effect. Hell, if I'm looking at it right, they may even help slightly with gas mileage, because a lot of the air the car's taking into the engine compartant as it moves now has a place to flow quickly from instead of trying to find other escape routes.

Picture a parachute.

Put some louvers in the chute.

What just happened :lol:

well, dont the 3.4's w/o the Vents get along just fine too?

Yes they do. Mostly it was appearence, but they also serve a purpose. And with the under plates removed, they keep enderhood temps down quite a bit. But they are not essential by any means, therefor they were installed primarily for cosmetic reasons.

bullshit flag. they dont keep underhood temps down quite a bit. ive had a computer reading coolant temps and there wasnt that much of a difference between open louvers and drip-panned louvers.

And actually they would keep coolant temps down, you can get like quadruple the air flow through the radiator. But you would have to be driving in order for them to be noticed.

...you dont say. just for shits and giggles, i will hook up the computer again and monitor air intake temps with open louvers and with closed louvers then. because im pretty damn sure underhood temps between both may vary a whopping 2*.

Ok anyway back to my original point and question. Do you think it would work? Would enough air get into that duct? If not i was thinking of making some sort of duct or intake on the hood to deflect the air in..... Any opinions on if this is just dumb or would work?

typically, the fresher air comes from the front of the car. if you had a duct that was matched to your louver, you would get air from it. however, it would probably be best to just duct from behind your bumper.