Gas overflowing everywhere WTF!?!

HokemBokem

So today I went to go get gas and now since I have a credit card I decided to fill the tank up full(something I havent done since I first got my car). Anyway I lifted the little latch to keep the gas flowing and I went and sat in my car and was listening to some tunes when all the sudden I smell gas really bad and hear liquid spilling. So I look under my car and gas was pouring everywhere. Why would my tank overflow when too full? I thought the pump would stop pumping when full like it usually does.

i'd say the problem has to do with the gas pump...i've seen that problem before...i've also read signs @ gas stations that say "AUTO SHUT-OFF IS BROKEN...DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED"...so, i'd pretty much say the problem has nothing to do with your car! :wink:

Well just a little bit ago I tried at a different pump again becasue the gas level was lower due to some driving. And the same thing happened?? So I think it is something to do with my car.

oh...icic...well...i dunno then... :shrug:...that messed up though...

Yea I know :x If the problem isint an easy fix ill just take it as another loss :lol: and wont fill my tank up full anymore.

I've had cars that did this before. It's the seal that goes around the sending unit leaking, usually. Either that or a rusted out tank. But that shouldn't be the case on a 96' yet, in Arizona.

When I had the tank replaced (used one ) on my 88' it would splash out (stand clear! :lol: ), however it would turn off after that. I'm not sure why. Possibly something to do with the vent tube?

There are 2 hoses running up from the tank to the filler neck. One is obviously the main hose running to the tank (and is the size of a radiator hose.) The other one is smaller and is supposed to act as the "vacuum" source that causes the auto-shutoff to trip on the nozzle. I'm sure someone else has a better explanation for it, but that's the jist of it. I would venture a guess that the small hose is obstructed somehow...

There are 2 hoses running up from the tank to the filler neck. One is obviously the main hose running to the tank (and is the size of a radiator hose.) The other one is smaller and is supposed to act as the "vacuum" source that causes the auto-shutoff to trip on the nozzle. I'm sure someone else has a better explanation for it, but that's the jist of it. I would venture a guess that the small hose is obstructed somehow...

Yup, that line might be pinched or something as it runs through the trunk.

go back and bitch, you paid to have it fixed not broken again

Yea it must have been them beacuase I can remember when I forst got my car I filled the tank up full no problems.

I had that happen a couple times at a Speedway station and it was obvious at other times from the soak up stuff that the pumps were screwing up. It only happened at that station and only twice.

Try filling up somewhere else before you blame your car.

Try filling up somewhere else before you blame your car.

Well just a little bit ago I tried at a different pump again becasue the gas level was lower due to some driving. And the same thing happened??