How will they handle my Ground Effects...

gmrulz4u

When I get my car painted, I'm a little confused as to how they will deal with the International Ground Effects?

A while ago, my mechanic told me that normally they SHOULD take the Ground Effects OFF, paint the car, paint the Ground Effects seperately, and then put them back on...is this correct?

I e-mailed pics of my car to one paint place and they said if I stuck with two-tone, it would cost $150 extra because of the labour required to "re-mask" everything...so from this, I assume they would NOT take the Ground Effects OFF?

I'm just kinda confused on this issue...

ANYONE:)

I'd pull the effects off yourself, have the entire car painted, paint the effects seperatly and gently put them back on after everything dries. My dad just redid the 1988 Celebrity station wagon we've got (the 'shaggin' wagon) and it's two tone. But the main color was shot on the entire vehicle, then he's gonna go back and shoot the bottom half himself. The reason why is because of a good base to resist rust and to have the color match without taping or masking anything off. Easy shoot, easy project.

- RedFox340

If the GFX's are urethane (flexable plastic) the paint put on them should have flexing agent added. Ditto on the remove them yourself and have the entire car painted first. This will help for rust prevention. Hopefully your body man is not a butcher and properly prepares the areas underneath the ground effects instead of doing the "thats going to be covered anyhow" routine and just blows paint on them uncleaned & unsanded. Then have the GFX prepared and flexing agent added to the paint.

150.00 extra Yes that fair for painting the car because of the extra process and they are not going to take them off but paint either the bottom or top first. Tape and mask that off and paint the remainder of the car. This will come out OK but if there is any rust issues under the ground effects it will go unaddressed. Usually under mouldings is where rust starts from traped moisture. All depends on what you want for final product and how much you want to spend. If you can remove them yourself you'll be ahead of the game plus you will see first hand whats going on under there. Front and rear facias are alot more work to remove and replace but they too should have flexing agent added to the paint.

what kind of estimate did u get? I want my car sprayed but i don't know whats a decent price, including 3 small quarter size door dings and respray almost the same color, (my car is off white, i want WHITE) later guys Jay

i am talking sand prime and paint