EXHAUST TIP...

mewantsa87gnx

I need some tips for my 95 Monte Carlo z34. And yes I did search the forums for an answer, however I did not find an answer that satisfies me. I have only had this car since June of 2004, and I have been looking for advice about the exhaust almost the whole time. My girlfriend owns a 97 Mustang V6 with an exhaust that makes it sound like a V8. Well I want that, plus some a performance increase. Does better sounding exhaust and performance go hand in hand, and can I gain either/both from just a new muffler? From searching the forums I gather that Borla is a favorite but when I visited their site I did not find a muffler for the Monte. Anyone know a model number? Also I know that the 60 series Flowmasters are popular, but I would like to hear a sound clip before I commit to anything. Anyways thanks for any responses ahead of time.

flow 40s sound like a v8 at idle.. they tend to be raspy if they are cold with a free flowing exaust no resignator at 2.5-3k rpms. flow50s sound really nice.. magnaflows are also pretty good. If you get some put on and are still not satisfied replace your resignator with a glasspack type muffler or put strait pipe in its place.

If you do pick up a glasspack. I highly recomend the flow tech "purple hornies." Dumb name--great pack. If you find a store with them and other brands....compare steel thickness and insides. You'll see what I mean. Mine is now over 2 years old. It quiets the rasp big time. The exhaust is quieter in general for about 9 months. Then the deeper tones build and get better and better.

You may want to paint it as it really is purple, sick purple.

All the mufflers you guys mention really sick flow wise......which is bad for performance.......which is the entire idea behind exhaust in the first place.

The best mufflers you can buy have a perforated core (a bunch of holes) and are straight though. For instance...a Dynomax Ultraflo.....which is what I have and recommend.

just replacing the mufflers have practically no affect on performance, especially on these cars. Redo the whole exhaust from the headers down and yea then maybe the muffler would do something. But as it is, they are just for cosmetic reasons. If they make ur car sound nice then go for it.

Perhaps I should have mentioned earlier. I went duals with Dynomax super turbos and cat removal. It was extremely raspy, very embarrassing.

So I had the Flow Tech Purple Hornies glasspack put in where the cat was. Problem solved. The Flow tech has scallop cuts inside like a high end motorcycle exhaust rather than the piddly little holes found in a thrusher and others.

If you look at my www site you'll get an idea of the dual look. The first guy I went to wouldn't work with me. He was too dumb to see that the exhaust could be routed under the suspension rather than through it like stock. When I told him they are doing it on the net, he told me to have my net buddies do it then. If I ever get busted for no cat.....I'm telling the cops he welded it up for me and said the glasspack was a high flow cat.

A$$hole.

Oh yeah, I know the tips are too far out.

The stock exhaust for 3.4's are sick. They sound really good especially in the lower rpm's when they rasp :D i have no plans on replacing the exhaust becuase there are no proven hp gains so why waste the money :confused:

The stock Exhaust is pritty good on the 3.4 DOHC.

DO NOT go with the Flows. Flows sound good on pushrods, not DOHCs.

Glasspacks are cheap and they work well on the 3.4, however alot of people complain about the raspiness of the car.

The only way to truely get a boost in power is gonna be a straight exhaust, and that is gonna sounds nasty... and not in a good way. It will more then likely be whiney and high pitched when running hard.

I believe, at least in our case, that piping diameters, and the amount of back pressure created by those various diameters is seen in torque more than horsepower.

Smaller diameter, less freeflowig, more backpressure = better take off and low speed accelleration.

Mid-range diameter, less backpressure is going to give you a better flow at highway speeds = better mileage, better passing.

Huge diameter, no or low backpressure = a pile of manure that can't even get off the line and dogs out when given gas. That's the biggest problem with amatur demo derby guys. They like the pipes coming out of the hood, no back pressure, doggy acceleration.

But then I could be completely wrong.

I was going for Highway mileage and passing with my exhaust. 2.25 piping, non mandrel (no shop could do it around here) from the down pipe to 2.5 mufflers. (good price on left overs)

All the mufflers you guys mention really sick flow wise......which is bad for performance.......which is the entire idea behind exhaust in the first place.

The best mufflers you can buy have a perforated core (a bunch of holes) and are straight though. For instance...a Dynomax Ultraflo.....which is what I have and recommend.

umm...you said Magnaflow is sick? i just got a Magnaflow 4" magnapack. it has a perforated core....