Anyone ever try an underdrive pulley on a 3.1 or 2.8?

Intlcutlass

someone told me before that we can use the ASP underdrive pulley for the 2.8/3.1 Berretas I believe, I have no clue if anyone has confirmed this or not though.....go to ASP's site http://www.aspracing.com/import.htm and check it out, I'll search for my previous post(s) on the GMF board and see what exactly the person who recommended it to me said....I think you have to change something I believe...not sure

an underdrive pulley just replaces your standard pulleys, depending on what car/engine you have you can get alternator, water pump, etc....the concept behind it from what I understand is that they reduce the speed at which your accesories turn, therefore making them need less power to operate and giving you a slight performance boost from this. I'm not sure this is a good explanation although it covers the basics I guess, someone else please chime in and fully explain...thanks...hehe

well before that link somoene gave i never even saw a pic of this thing. when i saw the pic i realised it went somewhere on the accessory line, but where and how that helps was what i was wondering. So do you get this pully for every accessory on the line, or is it just one? I would prefer not to reduce the speed at which my alternator turns, if anything id like a smaller pulley to increase that. im guessing there are no adverse effects on the power steering and water pumps? AC wont blow warmer than usual from a slower speed?

It should, the accessories are probably identical since the motors are basically identical also......as I stated before, I really don't know if the underdrive pulley for the Beretta will work though, I'd find out ASP's return policy and see if they'd let you return it if it doesn't work.

Good discussion. I used to have to figure this stuff in my job. Here's an

old spread sheet that figures the RPM's for you. It used pitch diameter but the od of most serpentine belt pulleys will be close enough.

The smaller the driving pulley (crank shaft Pulley) the slower the driven will spin. The larger the accessories pullies the slower the accessories will

spin. To overdrive a supercharger you use a smaller pulley.

Smaller crank pulleys do increase useable motor hp. Can't go to small or the belt won't drive your accessories. I don't think a 3" crank pulley would work. Keep in mind that the crank pulley is also a vibration damper so weight is also important. You may have to get a shorter belt also.

Pulley Sizes and RPM's

RPM 5000

Crank Pulley Dia 7

Pulley Belt Ft Motor Belt Ft Pulley

Dia Per Rev RPM Per RPM RPM

Crank 7.00 1.83 5000 9163 5000

Alt 2.25 0.59 5000 2945 15556

PS 4.00 1.05 5000 5236 8750

Crank 5.00 1.31 5000 6545 5000

Alt 2.25 0.59 5000 2945 11111

PS 4.00 1.05 5000 5236 6250

If you want the file let me know.

Alt really cranks dosen't it.

Dimensions from 90 TGP If anybody knows of smaller ones i would like to know. The 5" pulley is just an example of how much you can slow things down.

Why does program compress tables. Sorry

where are the pullies on the site Tom posted? I looked all over the site and couldn't find em.....also it looks like that crap is for Porsches, did you even bother clicking on the link that Tom posted......find the underdrive pullers on http://WWW.FASTFORWARDPERFORMANCE.COM and post a link to THEM please!!!...the site(s) I posted sell them, I think that Superbuick meant to put a link to http://www.fastfwdperformance.com, if I am WRONG about this..then sorry I'm such an idiot, but I couldn't find any pulleys on that site :lol: