tinting windows

rudefyet

I've tinted a few things myself that turned out really good, but i wanna try a big project...my car

anyone have any tips? especially for the rear window.

also what type/darkness tint would y'all recommend?

I have no tips to offer on actually applying the tint, but I'd say go with the darkest you can legally have or a tad darker. My TGP has 35% sides/rear, I posted some new pics in the members rides section. The 35% isn't dark enough for me though.

i think my 1.4 windows have 50% on them i really don't know since it was on the car when i bought it, but i like it. so i'd go 50%, as for the side windows i'd take them out of the door to tint. but for your rear window, have a pro do it so you got a gaurentee.

The side windows are quite easy. You can do the rear only if you are very patient. The first time I did the rear window in one of these cars, it took a little over 6 hours. 6 hours of being bent and twisted in painfully awkward positions. Again, this was my first time.. as you do more, you become much quicker and learn new techniques, but that was the first and last time I'd ever attempt it. Side windows I can do in no time.

The side windows are quite easy. You can do the rear only if you are very patient. The first time I did the rear window in one of these cars, it took a little over 6 hours. 6 hours of being bent and twisted in painfully awkward positions. Again, this was my first time.. as you do more, you become much quicker and learn new techniques, but that was the first and last time I'd ever attempt it. Side windows I can do in no time.

What brand of tint did you use and where did you buy it from? I'm going to do most of the tint on one of my project cars soon(back window even looks relatively easy to get to on it).

See i've never done a window that big with a curve...from what i understand i'd have to use strips...which i'm sure lining them up is a PITA right? how many strips did you use on the rear window?

Rear windows are difficult for a DIY because of the compound curve. There are a couple of techniques that you can use to make the film "curve".

I found this place a few years ago....everything you wanted to know about tinting:

http://www.tintdude.com/

I've never done a rear window, but I'd like to try.

ckeck it out - I learned this right after I did my back window and i'm pissed

I did my back window horizontal strips and it looks like it. After searching the web on tinting I found out that you lay the tint on the outside and cut it, but use a heat gun and the folds dissapear!

I can't remember the exact details now like if you use soap water on the outside or not. but I did all my side windows with the heat gun thing and it just looks awesome - no fighting bubbles and folds

Just do a google search

ckeck it out - I learned this right after I did my back window and i'm pissed

I did my back window horizontal strips and it looks like it. After searching the web on tinting I found out that you lay the tint on the outside and cut it, but use a heat gun and the folds dissapear!

I can't remember the exact details now like if you use soap water on the outside or not. but I did all my side windows with the heat gun thing and it just looks awesome - no fighting bubbles and folds

Just do a google search

exactly! and yes they use a shit load of soap and water on the outside when you are test fitting it to the outside. Our windows don'r need to be done in strips at all. Cars taht have them done in strips look like ass, the conlt car i would never try (w-body) is the cutty 4 door, with that wierd ass back window. later Jay

I had a buddy that did his '96 GP rear window in strips and it turned out pretty good. You have to be really patient. If anything, you are better off to attempt the heat gun trick, although I have never seen that in action. I don't know the tint laws in Ohio, but hopefully they aren't as stupid as they are here in PA.

i've tinted a the 1/4 windows and the rear window on my '86 cutlass myself...the 1/4 windows turned out perfect, but the back window was another story...it looked like shit...had a big crease in it...of course, i've never heard of this heat gun trick until now, and had i known about it, i prolly coulda done it without messing it up...you just have to be REALLY PATIENT with it...thats the key...i'm pretty sure when i have my '97 cutlass done, i'm gonna have it done by a professional...ALSO, my uncle is a cop here locally and is going to get me a copy of the OHIO tint laws...he said they changed recently...they USED to say that you were allowed 50% on the front 2, and the rears could pretty much be as dark as you wanted...that's changed though and he told me its gonna be hard for them to ticket you for window tint now...so, when i get the new info, i'll post it for ya...

What brand of tint did you use and where did you buy it from? I'm going to do most of the tint on one of my project cars soon(back window even looks relatively easy to get to on it).

I bought bulk Sun Gard from a local store here. I've also used the crappy Walmart tint in the past. I obviously wouldn't recommend it.

See i've never done a window that big with a curve...from what i understand i'd have to use strips...which i'm sure lining them up is a PITA right? how many strips did you use on the rear window?

A heatgun will be your savior throughout the ordeal. Strips look like ass after awhile. Use the site one of the guys mentioned and learn to do a one piece install. It will be very worth it.

Best of luck to you!

I attempted to tint the back Window on my '88 and I got extremely frustrated, with water dripping all over the seats and the tint slipping around.. I just gave up. Spent $200 to get the whole car done and it looked friggen awsome. Now to figure out if I should tint my '95 darker.. :think:

To me, its worth it to have at least the rear done professionally. Its such a PITA to do, and if there are problems with it down the road, a GOOD tint shop will warranty the tint for a lifetime. I can assure you that it is not fun to remove the tint from a rear window and reapply.