Intlcutlass

Well, I have been researching this for a while now, and the 88-93? cs and gp have the 3.1 (140 hp) right? For those of you interested, if you found a camero 3.4 block (not the dohc) you could plop all your 2.8-3.1 sensors n such right on, and drop it in your car -no problem. It's only a gain of like 20 hp over the 3.1. but the nice thing is that all your adders or aftermarket gains bolt on with no problems to. If you were going for a normally aspirated engine and are limited to the obd I system, This is the way to go. If you put in the right cam, and a little head work, there would be no problems hitting 225 hp. AND IT'S RELIABLE. Anyone with any feedback? What do you guys think.

I think the Camaro block may need a little machining done to it because the starter is on the opposite side.

However, I wouldn't even bother with that block. If I wanted an engine block to build a motor, I'd go with the 3400 V6 used in minivans and 99+ Grand Am GT/Alero.

It would be an easier swap than the Camaro 3.4.

If you ever see a 3.4 w-body for sale, test drive it and see. you will suddenly understand why us 3.4 drivers put up with the ocasional set back. its really a sweet ass motor.

3.4.jpg?dc=4675404080458581515

Shawn: Yea, but you can't use the stock electronics if you go with a 3400. am I right?

Toast: The 3.4 dohc is a great motor, don't get me wrong. Power is sweet... but it's a little high maintenence. And once again I'm thinken to avoid the electronics issues and keeping the original sensors and computer n stuff to make the a swap as easy as possible (if there is such a thing) a 3.4 block built as a 2.8 or 3.1 with a few minor mechanical changes, a 3.4 pushrod would be easier. Shawn is right though I forgot about the the alternator n stuff.

Am I nuts?

Yes, you could keep stock electronics with the 3400.

You can even bolt the 3.1L entire top half (heads, intake, etc.) to the 3400 block.

The differences between a 3400 block and 3.1L block aside from the bore, is:

- 3400 block is stronger.

- 3400 block uses a roller cam.

- 3400 has no place to mount the ignition module.

- 3400 block has a hole for the camshaft position sensor.

You would have to find a new place to mount the ignition module, but that is your biggest challenge electrically. Much less of a challenge than relocating the starter mounting bosses on the 3.4 engine.

Actually the front accessories wouldn't be a big deal because I think you could put the 3.1L timing cover and brackets onto a 3.4L block, but why bother when you can get a 3400 block!