TGP EGR mount different?

Jcrow

Ive been searching through the tgp section, someone said the egr is the same as N/A, but in my wiring diagrams it is different.

I think I have heard the EGR is different electrically :) I know for sure the rest of it is different with there being the "turbo" crossover involved!!! The TGP EGR Tube is shorter by a long ways as compared to the NA EGR Tube!!

Jeff M

According to my diagrams, the wastegate solenoid is controlled by the part of the computer that controls the N/A EGR. So a vacuum EGR is used on the TGP and the computer loses some control, but still has some control over EGR.

I'm asking because I have the opportunity to buy some TGP parts.

Otherwise I would have to get a custom TGP chip with the EGR de-activated

i unplugged mine on my 3.1 and nver had any problem tho

I hope it does work for you, you can do what you like its your car and thats cool 8) . For others I would NOT suggest it, when the computer activates the EGR, the timing tables are advanced, something not good and can cause pinging (that you might not hear!!!). And the fueling then is different leaning things out since exhaust going into the engine does not have much air and does not need much fuel. These conditions only happen during cruise speeds/NOT boosted areas but still not good to do this, besides, it does not hurt gas mileage and it helps performance???.....YES, when exhaust is sent into the combustion chamber is does not burn worth a shit and therefore the explosion i.e. temperature drops in the combustion chamber :read: and we like it cooled off for when we hammer the boost and heat to it mashing the gas pedal as we like to do, same benifits we are looking to get from running a colder thermostat. I know it sounds odd but now that you know the effects of the EGR, it can be your friend!!

So thanks guys, this proves the control of this EGR is different as well as the flex tube that gets the exhaust 8)

Jeff M

I unplugged an egr on a cavalier and it pinged so bad I had to pull over and reconnect it!

I would rather have EGR than deactivating it in the chip, but am having trouble figuring out the tgp valve.

Is there a something in the vacuum line between the manifold and valve? Does it connect to the 4 tube throttle body connector?

EGR works because exhaust has very low oxygen and injecting it into the engine has a cooling effect because it cannot support combustion.

Oh yeah, The reason they made EGR to cool the cylinders is because very high temperatures mixed with oxygen and nitrogen (normal air) make NOx. Or oxides of nitrogen (yes some is nitrous oxide, but most of it is other forms of NO , hence the x stands for any number of oxygen atoms in the molecule. NOx is pollution. So the EGR is timed to come on when cylinder temps are high enough to form NOx, but is not used when power is more important!

EGR works because exhaust has very low oxygen and injecting it into the engine has a cooling effect because it cannot support combustion.

I thought that is what I said :P Well maybe in not as many words :lol: You do still have combustion its just lame 8) . Thanks for elaborating on this, one of my strongest commitments to this board is to keep people safe, and that includes sometimes clearing up some old ideas about emissions and such, and its fun (at least it was for me) to learn the "Rest of the Story" 8).

Yes there are 4 Vacuum Lines coming out of the top of the TGP TB, one feeds the EGR, but it’s an ECM Controlled Solenoid that throttles this vacuum signal to control the EGR Diaphragm.

Jeff M