Cluster Problem , need to remove it , Lumina

Jamz

Did a damn search , didnt find what i needed . So heres the story . There is a bad contact with a blub in my cluster and a lil tap on the top of the dash make it light up . No problem till today , when i tapped , and the speedometer indicator stick fell off ( :evil: ) so i need to remove the dash , while being there i will replace some burned bulbs here and there , and repair that lil thing . Now ... it seems to be very complicated to get this part off ... anyone with an how to ? an approximation of the time it can get ? i got time to do it tomorrow . Any answers are welcome

thanks

7mm hex bolts.. Need to remove the top dash pad.. Then its a couple more holding the cluster in.. After that, just pull the harness connector, and out it comes.. Then a small torx will take the lens off.. Good luck.. If ay need more help, PM me.. I know a thing or 2 about Lumina Dashes.. :wink:

Well, the top line of bolts.. Easy right? (Well.. Nuts.. I forgot what holds it in).. Then there are a SHITLOAD of little 7mm hex heads.. Hidden all over.. Just go to town is your BEST bet..

Damn... no definate answer then :lol:

I reckon I'll just have to tear away at it.

The service manual shows you how to pretty good. But yeah like Steve said look for the 7mm bolts. Are you planning on taking the dash carrier out too? If so IIRC: I think there are some huge nuts on the top after you take the dash pad off to get to that you need to remove.

well slick, i had to pull the dash out after the fire was out to see if any further damage had occured. snagged it from your dash removal:lumina thread, 8/21/04here ya go;

well, you remove the radio, then the trim pieces. then take the kick panels off below the steering wheel and the black one on the pass. side. after removing the trim, between the passanger side vents, there are 2 7mm screws that hold the fuse cluster. remove those, then there are 2 more at the bottom of it, at an angle, remove them, too. take the dash pad off and you'll see 10mm bolts along the top of the dash, and a few 7mm and 5.5mms. along each side, on the bottom, there are 2 10mm bolt, remove them. then you'll need a 13mm to drop the steering column. the bolts are on a U shaped bracket, you'll see them. then, under where the gauge cluster sits, you see to ends of 7mm screws, look above the lowered column and you can see the 7mm, remove. after all the screws are removed and the column dropped, you can pull the dash out. when i did it, it seemed that theres something else holding it back. so if anyone knows what else needed to be done, do tell.

that should do it, if there is something holding it back after all that, i don't remember what it was. it did come out enough for me to inspect.......