Something's leaking..

Speckkial

I believe it's oil and it's coming out the oil tank but I'm kind of shaky. I only notice the leak right after I start the car. It'll leak for some 15-20 minutes but after driving for a while it'll stop. I first noticed it in late November after my last oil change but I'm sure it's not coming from the oil filter. Should I pour some stop leak in the oil tank and see if that works?

well, if its coming out from around the oil pan, but only when you first start out...it could be that o-ring that was mentioned above...or possibly oil pan gasket...the dealership can fix it for you...but, expect to pay out the ass...

We said after your last oil change..

Could also be the oil pan drain bolt..I know our old Suburban dad took it somewhere crappy and they stripped the threads and it leaked like a bitch..so we had to enlarge the hole and rethread..

- Jeff L.

We said after your last oil change..

Could also be the oil pan drain bolt..I know our old Suburban dad took it somewhere crappy and they stripped the threads and it leaked like a bitch..so we had to enlarge the hole and rethread..

- Jeff L.

This has happened to my friends Maxima. That is also why I buy a new oil plug bolt every 3-4 oil changes.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I had my oil changed this past weekend and I discovered the leak is because of the oil pan gasket. The guy at Jiffy Lube told me I would need to purchase a new one and it would cost me a couple of hundred dollars for the part. I stopped into Autozone to see if that was true and the part was only $24.99 but I didn't buy it. I figured, why would the guy tell me it would cost a couple of hundred dollars if it only cost $25? Could he have meant the cost of labor to have the part replaced on my car? Or could I have asked about the wrong part? I'm sure the oil pan gasket is what he said was bad but when it comes down to price, could he have not known what he was talking about?

He was trying to bumfuck you without lube. That's pretty much the extent of it.

I would never let a "mechanic" do work on my cars.. they fuck it up and charge you out the ass for it.

I would never let a "mechanic" do work on my cars.. they fuck it up and charge you out the ass for it.

But Jiffy Lube doesn't even sell the part and I'm sure that he's far from a mechanic. Every question I asked him about how I could have damaged the oil pan gasket he stepped over and brushed me off like he didn't have time to answer. But I did notice after the oil change that the car drove ten times better then its been driving.

He must have been talking about the labor. Have you tried just tightening the bolts?

Ohhhhh no. I'm far from a mechanic myself. I might sound like a wimp but I don't touch anything I can't fix or afford to fix so I leave car maintenance to car maintenance people. I just drive em.

It's people like you that make me hate this forum at times. "DAUH, I CAN NOT TAKE A RACHET TO SOME BOLTS AND TURN THEM, SO MY CAR WILL REMAIN BROKE"

It's nothing like that. Why are people always getting so personal? I come here for help and suggestions. Not to get yelled at because I choose not to work on my own car.

I didn't tell you to rebuild the engine. C-BAD said to try tightening the bolts. If you can't turn a ratchet on some bolts, maybe you don't need to own a car at all.

Did I ever say I wasn't going to try tigntening the bolts? Thanks C_BAD for your help. It's good to know that some people are here to help and not judge. It's my business that I own a car not yours. If you're not going to offer some advice on the question at hand then don't post at all. Air your feelings out somewhere else.

But Jiffy Lube doesn't even sell the part and I'm sure that he's far from a mechanic. Every question I asked him about how I could have damaged the oil pan gasket he stepped over and brushed me off like he didn't have time to answer. But I did notice after the oil change that the car drove ten times better then its been driving.

Not to start a war with the Jiffy Lube guys, but they're far from mechanics. The number of horror stories I've heard are astounding. To work there, all you need to do is be able to fill out an application.

If you're not doing the work yourself, find a reputable shop... not a quick lube shop. You will obviously pay more for the part through the shop, as they mark up the cost of the part and charge you labor.

me = future Jiffy Lube employee

now do you really want a guy like me changing your oil? :lol:

:lol:

And yea I would not want Jiffy Lube guys to do anything on my car.

So I am looking at the right part, but I'll probably pay out the ass for labor?

Yeah more than likely. Its a simple job that'll take them 15 minutes if its the pan. But you'll be charged book time.. not sure what they rate that one at. And labor rates are so damn high.