What is this instrument panel piece?

sspeedstreet

jeez ive never seen that part before. But if its for a column shift car, then how come he found it in a Z34??

it blocks off the PRND321 that is seen on column shift cars, it comes on the floor shifted ones that don't need/use that indicator...

jeez ive never seen that part before. But if its for a column shift car, then how come he found it in a Z34??

Because the Lumina in all it's incarnations were merely cookie sheet cutouts.. The samecar, with bolt on accessories to make em different.. And worth more..

So... does taking that off mean that you'll be able to see what gear you are in in the instrument cluster?

I don't think so, i think you would just see all the letters, I can't imagine that there is a functioning slider there too because I think those are directly linked to the column shifter itself

So... does taking that off mean that you'll be able to see what gear you are in in the instrument cluster?

I don't think so, i think you would just see all the letters, I can't imagine that there is a functioning slider there too because I think those are directly linked to the column shifter itself

Hmm... good point. I was thinking something along the lines of the gear indicators having lights, instead of a slider.

Hmm... good point. I was thinking something along the lines of the gear indicators having lights, instead of a slider.

Wouldn't that be nice.. Got to find/make yourself your own indicator.. I was going to, but with a 5 speed, it struck me as redundant..

Wouldn't that be nice.. Got to find/make yourself your own indicator.. I was going to, but with a 5 speed, it struck me as redundant..

With a 5 speed, that would be hard as hell!!

Anyways, what all would be involved in making a gear indicator light. The instrument panel allready has the cutout for it.

Some GM cars use bulb and holder that is one unit. They are available from most parts stores. They look like a 194 bulb, but they don't come out of the holder.

The gear indicator assembly is cable operated and bolts into the cluster as one piece. Could be added to a floor shift car, but the cable for it would have to run all the way to the console or under the hood to the where the shift cable attaches to the trans. Probably not worth the effort. But hey, if someone wants to try.. go for it.

Damn... hopefully someone will pipe in with a good way of hooking up lights to the gear indicator.
Take a look at the IP there might be a spot to put bulbs right into there for it. Or maybe try to retrofit a digital one (in the newer GM's to do it).

5speedz34,

As for the cluster lights, you can get 194 bulbs or leds and I see Autozone actually sells the twist-lock bases seperate. They're made I think by motormite and are by the switches, fuses, bulbs, and replacment connectors they sell. Sorry my response is a little late.

5speedz34,

As for the cluster lights, you can get 194 bulbs or leds and I see Autozone actually sells the twist-lock bases seperate. They're made I think by motormite and are by the switches, fuses, bulbs, and replacment connectors they sell. Sorry my response is a little late.

Thanks alot man, I look into that in the next week or two!