Auto Dimming mirror/ power trunk release

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm wondering if an early-mid 90's Gentex auto dimming rearvies mirror will work in either my 92 or 95.

Also, has anyone added the power trunk release to an 88-93 GP? How involved is it?

Funny you bring this up. I just listed 3 last night. You can add just about any rear view mirror to any GM car, save for a few found in foreign cars. Some of those have the overhead mount for rear view mirrors as opposed to the windshield wedge/button. But 99% of American car mirrors are interchangeable. It's just a matter of directing the wires to power it up, which if you're talking about the early ones (like the one in my link), only requires one ground, and one wire run to a source that comes on with ignition. The third wire is to disable the self dimming feature when in reverse, which to me is just pointless. No one I know has every actually wired that in. I've got a variety of self dimming mirrors in all my cars. :D

The third wire is to disable the self dimming feature when in reverse, which to me is just pointless. No one I know has every actually wired that in.

:lol: I actually wired it in on my 89 Cutlass and truck since their harnesses had extra wires. I didn't bother with the 94 Cutlass and TGP. It's actually pretty nice though. When backing out of my garage in the daytime, the mirror turns black on the cars that don't have it hooked up. It's rather annoying and I can see how it could be a safety issue if there happens to be a pesky neighborhood kid playing on the driveway. I'm thinking that's the main reason why that wire exists.

The third wire is to disable the self dimming feature when in reverse, which to me is just pointless. No one I know has every actually wired that in.

:lol: I actually wired it in on my 89 Cutlass and truck since their harnesses had extra wires. I didn't bother with the 94 Cutlass and TGP. It's actually pretty nice though. When backing out of my garage in the daytime, the mirror turns black on the cars that don't have it hooked up. It's rather annoying and I can see how it could be a safety issue if there happens to be a pesky neighborhood kid playing on the driveway. I'm thinking that's the main reason why that wire exists.

Not if you actually turn around and look behind you when you put it in reverse. You can actually reverse your perspective and steer correctly if you put your right hand on the pass. seat and look behind you. I never use just the rearview mirror.

Not if you actually turn around and look behind you when you put it in reverse. You can actually reverse your perspective and steer correctly if you put your right hand on the pass. seat and look behind you. I never use just the rearview mirror.

I used to do that in my younger days, but I like my mirror adjusted so perfectly making that's pointless, because I can see everything in the mirror. I'm one of those people that will spend an inordinate amount of time to adjust the mirrors to a precise location and I get angry if anyone moves it.

I used to do that in my younger days, but I like my mirror adjusted so perfectly making that's pointless, because I can see everything in the mirror. I'm one of those people that will spend an inordinate amount of time to adjust the mirrors to a precise location and I get angry if anyone moves it.

My girlfriend and I share my GP a lot, so I get used to moving my mirror. In fact, I adjust it pretty often, because I vary my seating position often. I'm one of those people that's constantly adjusting stuff. My girl notices that, I had to know exactly how to adjust the EQ on my Sony Xplod car stereo, because I change the low/high end every other song. :lol: That's why I miss my old GP's pushbutton EQ settings, I have to go through a "menu" type system now.

As far as trunk release you could probably use one out of a Lumina? My 1990 has a button under the dash and a solenoid type release thing in the trunk that releases when power is applied to it. So you'd need to get that release from the trunk and the button for under the dash or wherever you want to put it and then wire it up..

When adding on aftermarket keyless entry this is nice to have since you just wire the release to the keyless entry module and you don't need to go buy a different type of release for the trunk.

I don't know about the reliablity of these types of releasing systems but I know I haven't ever had a problem with mine and it always works no matter how cold it is or hot it is.

Oh, you should know there is some type of safety thing wired in so if the car is in gear you cannot use the release to open the trunk...whether you wire that in or not is up to you.. but if not you'd have to probably jumper something together...I don't have a diagram of the system..I'm just thinking logically lol..

- Jeff L.

It's fairly easy if you get a diagram. The button's harness should already be in there, you just need to run a wire to the solenoid, I forget what exactly it attaches to, but I have the diagram around somewhere. I have a spare button too if you need to buy one.