anyone switch from column to console?

90lumina3.1

Guest TurboSedan

i went from a column shifted automatic to a 5-speed. all of the mounting provisions were already there and the shifter bolted right in. i had to cut some of the carpet out of the way. it's was easy tho. i am 98% sure that the auto shifter uses the same mounting locations. i still have a little stub sticking out of my column where the column shifer mounted tho. my bucket seats came from a '91 CS coupe and they bolted right in - but - since they came from a coupe the seats fold forward. i think it is kind of cool personally. good luck, the buckets/console really changed the interior of my car - way more sporty feeling.

joshua

are there any extra parts that i need to get to make this work? i need to know wether or not i have to change all the cables and stuff out, and how hard it is.(4t60 seems like harder than -E)

you need to get the floor shifter cables because they're a tad longer. And yes the auto floor shifter bolts right in, just get those 4 bolt-clip looking things that snap into the holes in the body. you also need the cable that goes from the shifter to the column to prevent the shifter from being moved while there's no key in the ignition, or you could be like me and say fuck it. More work than it's worth!

Guest TurboSedan

you'll probably have to get the shifter cable. the column shifted automatic has a cable that passes thru the firewall between the brake booster and drivers side strut tower (on 5-speed cars the clutch master cylinder mounts in this hole, but anywayz...). the floor shifted automatic has a cable that passes thru the firewall more to the center of the firewall, on the other side of the brake booster. the hole may not be there, or if it is it probably has a rubber plug in it or something. just make sure you get ALL the hardware from the donor car and you should be set!

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
you need to get the floor shifter cables because they're a tad longer. And yes the auto floor shifter bolts right in, just get those 4 bolt-clip looking things that snap into the holes in the body. you also need the cable that goes from the shifter to the column to prevent the shifter from being moved while there's no key in the ignition, or you could be like me and say fuck it. More work than it's worth!

i hear that, that's kind of like me with my clutch/starter kill switch. i have the switch, but it's just too much work for me to even install it.

joshua

you'll probably have to get the shifter cable. the column shifted automatic has a cable that passes thru the firewall between the brake booster and drivers side strut tower (on 5-speed cars the clutch master cylinder mounts in this hole, but anywayz...). the floor shifted automatic has a cable that passes thru the firewall more to the center of the firewall, on the other side of the brake booster. the hole may not be there, or if it is it probably has a rubber plug in it or something. just make sure you get ALL the hardware from the donor car and you should be set!

joshua

There wasn't a rubber plug in the location where SOME floor shifter cables go through, however after checking out a lot of w-bodies I come to notice that *some* cars with floor shift had the cable run through the same grommet as the column shifter (next to master cylinder), so that's what I did!

I am one of those people that dont have a cable that goes from a shifter to a ignition and can switch gears witout a key and that cost me about 500$ because one time it didnt go all the way in a Parking and my car rolled down the driveway and hit my neighbors house across the street good thing there were no witnesses, but then i had to get a new trunk, bumper, and do a lot of work to fix it and afterall i repainted the whole car. But i was kinda glad that it happened because i learned how to do everything by myself and learned how to prepare a car for a painting. 8)

Guest TurboSedan

man that sucks. that reminds me of an experience i had with my CS right after i did the '94+ rear brake conversion. i was delivering pizza and i pulled up next to the house and left my car in Neutral. i thought it wouldn't roll anywhere, and i made sure it wasn't moving after i got out of the car. well i deliver the pizza and go back to my car......which was not there anymore. instead it was rolling away from me, probably a good 60ft away by now. the car hopped a curb at the end of the street, and came within inches of hitting a brick house. it stopped rolling and then started coming back toward me and rolled back down off the curb. i was running like hell toward the car, pizza bag in hand, and the car was quickly making its way towards a fire hydrant. i got to the car and HEAVED as much of my weight as i could into the hood and front bumper. it came about 2ft from the hydrant, and i stopped the car and quickly jumped in and got the hell out of there. holy crap that was a rush! and i still have no e-brake! now i always shut the car off and stick it into 1st when i deliver, or park the car up next to a curb or in a pothole or something.

joshua

My dad is actually bout to go from colum to floor mount shifter in his 86-87 Regal. On his last drive (when they were going to my uncles to chilll and work on his custom Suburban), the tranny died. So this week he is putting a rebuilt tranny in he got from a friend we used to Race at Southside Speedway with, and then doing the converion. I cant remember what type it was, but its some special shifter where you can move it to the side, and hit it to shift gears like a manual (well, you push it up and it slides into the next gear). I cant remember the brand, know its not a Hurst though.

Jon