NEED HELP w/ 95 Cutalss Supreme Convertible

red95cutlass

Alright everyone out there in W-body land. I just bought a 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertable and the top is very faulty. Can someone send me pictures of what the top should look like at the windshield where the top clamps on? Any literature or diagrams will help too. I would like to see a side view of the top down without the boot on to see how far it should go into the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I know how to spell, really!

We know. Want a cookie? :lol:

Seriously though, wait for knoweledgable poeple to read your thread. I'm sure someone will come along eventually. This thread has been up for maybe a half hour at the most. Patience, young padawan. :lol:

I just bought a 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertable and the top is very faulty.

What do you mean by "very faulty"? I have a factory service manual and can look up some info if you describe what you are looking for. There is a diagram of the top header, but all it really shows is the hook and latch.

There is no side view of the top down in the manual - although you could probably see samples of the top down by looking at photos other Cutlass convertibles on a site like autotrader.com:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?advanced=y&certified=&isp=y&search=y&lang=&search_type=used&body_style=CONVERT&make=OLDS&start_year=1995&end_year=1995&max_mileage=&min_price=&max_price=&address=53203&distance=0&engine=&fuel=&drive=&transmission=&doors=&color=&x=84&y=8

The tops on these cars, for whatever reason, don't collapse flush with the rear of the car like some other convertibles. Did you car come with the cover that goes over the top when it is lowered? If so, just looking at the height of the cover indicates that the lowered top doesn't go down too far into the car. Wish they had designed them so that the lowered top was more flush with the rest of the body, I think it would have looked better.

Here's some images:

P2090064.jpg

P2090063.jpg

P2090062.jpg

P2090061.jpg

Cutlass_Top_Down_Drivers_Front.jpg

They're pretty large so be prepared if you have 56k. The red outline area in the first pic shows the approximate position of the folded down top, and the last is a 3/4 view with the top down from last summer. Let me know if you need any others, I'd put the top down right now but its snowing and generally shitty outside.

I don't blame you for not wanting to operate the top in the cold. I think you're not supposed to lower the top when the temp is 40 degrees or below anyway.

Just looking at the photo of your car with the top down and the boot installed, the top looks folded up about the same height as mine when the top is down. I'm not the original owner, and the car had a new top put on it shortly before I bought it, so I don't know how far the top lowered when the car was new.

The factory service manual has an adjustment procedure for the left and right brackets that attach the top to the rear of the car. It shows a diagram of the bracket, but it doesn't look as though there is much play to drop the top down much lower than where yours is now.

What symptoms does your top have: leaks, won't latch, trouble going up or down?

my issue is that both the sides leak and the top was having alot of trouble going back up. There was three different types of weatherstripping that the guy had on there and some balck caulk to fill the gaps. It looked totally bad so I pulled it all apart and I wanted to put the stock weatherstripping back on. There is a long channel across the top of the windshield that there was a strip of weatherstripping in it. It looked like it was aftermarket so I ripped it out. And now I took off the headliner to reduce weight so the top can pull up. I would have to have someone lift it because the motor was too weak.

Keep an eye on e-bay, those lift motors show up on there every once in awhile. I think lift motors from early 90s Cavalier convertibles and Camaros also interchange. It's alot cheaper than buying a new one.

My weatherstrip around the windshield is looking shitty also. I don't know how difficult it would be to replace the whole thing.

I'll be getting a brand new black top and window put on next month, I'll post the costs, etc.

Good luck with your Cutty.

I'll scan pages from the factory manual for you tonight that apply to your problem.

Just from what I remember reading, the top failing to go raise or lower properly they suggest you check misaligned/damaged linkage/hardware or the pivot points. If those check out, then start looking at the electro-hydraulic system.

Thanks for that, kcac!! I am planning to pull the top off the frame all together ('cause I like to tear shit up) to see if the framework is still in good shape. The previous owner knew nothing about cars and I know a little WD-40 will help alot. It seems like the passenger side struggles to pull up the top as it is, so that factory manual might come in handy for setting it up.

I see that yours is having the problem with the weatherstripping around the windshield. Have you ever thought of replacing it?

I think its from a crappy windshield install frankly, because the vinyl on my A pillars is messed up too.

just don't ask WhiteOut to take a pic with the top down and all the windows down too..................

The rear 3/4 window on the drivers side doesn't go down. Could be a faulty switch or a bad motor, I really don't know since its too much of a PIA to tear the car apart and find out.

It seems like the passenger side struggles to pull up the top as it is, so that factory manual might come in handy for setting it up.

I've got the same problem, I'm pretty sure its a dying pump. If it was a lift cylinder you'd notice a leakage of fluid.

I see that yours is having the problem with the weatherstripping around the windshield. Have you ever thought of replacing it?

I think its from a crappy windshield install frankly, because the vinyl on my A pillars is messed up too.

Mine is exactly the same way. On mine, I think it's due to shrinkage. I pulled it out and redid it so the corners would fit better. It came out looking better, but it comes up short an inch or two at the bottom.

The entire vinyl top has also suffered shrinkage. It's pulled so tight I can see parts of the frame poking out and all the window weatherstrip is completely exposed. I think the top being so tight is why some braces on the convertible frame broke. I need to get those fixed someday and replace the top. The weatherstrip on the bottom of the rear 1/4 windows is also all brittle and cracked up. The materials they used on these convertibles seems to be the least UV resistant I've ever come across.

Hey Gnat: How hard was it to re-do that windshield weatherstrip? And is it available from a dealer do you know? I would like to re-do mine after I get the top done next month.

It wasn't that hard, it just pulled right out and pushes back in. I had to use a little silicone to make it hold because it wanted to pop back out in spots, but it looks fine. Better than it did. I'm not sure if it's still available, but I can check tonight.