No Directionals?????

jpv123

OK, My brake lights work but not the turn signals. I checked the fuse and it was good. I replaced it anyway just in case there was a hairline break that I couldn't see. Could it be the flasher? Where is the flasher located? Everything else on the multi-function switch works (wipers,brights). any ideas? If anyone is wondering I didn't sell the car yet. I'm waiting til sring is in full bloom. I did buy the new MIni-van :oops:

Need more info...

Is there any ticking noise?

Do the fronts work?

Do the hazard flashers work?

Do the dash indicators flash or come on at all?

Do the signals stay steady (don't flash)?

Take off your lower kick panel under the dash. The flasher is located underneath the dash, to the right of the steering column, if you're sitting in the driver's seat, but it's kinda hard to tell direction when you're lying on your back on the floorboards with half your body outside the door.

It is a small, silver cylinder, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and it sits in a little bracket that holds it in place and helps to amplify the ticking noise.

Test it by rigging a complete circuit by running a couple of wires from the two prongs to a battery.

If everything seems to work, you have a different problem, possibly in the switch itself. There are numerous topics on this, including a detailed how-to on the homepage.

Try turning on your blinker, then pulling the stalk towards you, like you are going to flash someone. Go slowly and see if they start to blink. If so then you need a new turn signal switch.

no hazards no clicking or ticking nothing. lights work, high beams work and brake lights work no dash indicators nothing nothing nothing. :bash:
Try removing the flasher and testing it. (See my post above)

Man, that's what I need to put in my write-up, a picture of where the flasher is located. The flasher for the signals is up on the firewall near the brake pedal. The one for the hazzards is underneath the headlight switch. I wouldn't suspect a flasher at this point if both the hazzards and the signals won't function. Usually the hazzard flasher will last the life of the vehicle because it's hardly ever used.

Look in my write-up for the picture of the "Bulkhead Connector." Try tightening down on the bolt in the center (don't overtighten it, though.) Sometimes the connector works its way loose (it's kinda finicky) and all it takes is a little "snugging up" to get it to work again.

If this doesn't work, and you've tried replacing the flashers and fuses, then I'm afraid it's signal switch replacement time. But fear not, because someone has already taken the time to document the replacement procedure **coughmecough**

Here's that address again: http://www.users.qwest.net/~ace69/column/94upsignal.htm

Lots of luck to you, and if you have any questions regarding getting the column apart, feel free to drop me a line...