A few problems with my car

cardboard

Hello,

To start off I have a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix LE

Now to the problems with it :roll:

ok first:

1)Most of the time when I turn the steering wheel to turn the car (Im pretty sure its either directions), the left wheel makes a loud thump type noise.

2)another thing with the same wheel is that sometimes I can feel through the ground as if wheel were shaking. It feels like its almost gonna fall off!

3)This happened this morning -

I was driving along and I noticed that whenever I pressed the turning signal down, it would blink every 3-4 seconds, which is extremely slow! later on I noticed that the Voltage meter was at 10Volts!! Thats waay too low! So i drove home and the car has been standing in my drive way, I dont wanna drive it because the battery might die. My dad said its the alternator, because we've had about 4 alternators in this car already.

[EDIT 1] WOW totally forgot about another problem! :lol:

4)The brakes work REALLY bad! I can be driving along and push the pedal to the FLOOR and I wont even get a squealing stop, the car will just slow down. Is this right? Im pretty sure that in most cars if you slam on the brakes they will lock right? cause mine dont :? [END EDIT 1]

Alright that finishes off all the problems that I have right now. (more to come later :P) If you can tell me anything about any of these problems that would be great thanks!

If i can think of some other critical info about any of those Ill post it.

Ok, so we've got another W-Body owner on our hands: EXCELLENT.

For starters, I know this might sound dumb, but check the lug nuts and see if they on tight... next make sure the hub not loose and is working correctly. As for the big *clank* noise, it sounds it could be a CV joint or old bushings. When working at the shop, I'd have 4-Runner's always making that noise making left turns.

Check the battery and the alternator (2.8 / 3.1L or DOHC?)... sometimes both power sources are needing both to survive, if you replace one, usually the other goes with it; depending on age and use.

As for the brakes: join the club! :shock: Everyone W-Body was given to small of big for the weight of the car. RedZMonte is trying some (what are they RedZ?) pads and rotors, but mainly performance rotor and pads to stop the beast. the rest of the guys will give you exact names, can't think of any of the top of my head.

you better hope the clanking isnt just lugs being loose...i was driving along on a wheel that was making a lound clanking but it grew faster as speed increased etc. I got out and tighted them for the rest of the ride. the next time i had to take the wheel off the studs and lugs were completley cross threaded. :? :x From what i hear it is not easy replacing studs...or the whole hub if u wanna go that (expensive) route

As for the brakes, they ARENT too small, just inefficient. Get a set of carbon metallic or ceramic pads on all 4 brakes. Semi-metallics made it impossible for my car to emergency-stop more than once in 10 minutes before overheating and warping the rotors. Make sure your rear calipers are working and the slider pins aren't siezed.

1. I agree on the loose wheel possibility, been there, done that, don't wanna do it again!!! It could also be a CV or a balljoint.

2. It just MIGHT be ready to fall off! Better check it with a torque wrench. I think 105ft-lbs is the proper torque for aluminum wheels.

3. Time for new alternator.

4. These cars come standard with insufficient power assist. You have to pick your pads very carefully. I used carbon metallic and they were a night and day difference. Semi-metallics are terrible.

ok heres my analysis:

1 eiter a balljoint or tie-rod.

2 wheel shaking could be an off balance wheel. its cheap to have them balanced.

3 alternators in these cars suck. ass. big time. expect to change a lot and be thankful that its right there for you on the 3.1.

4 if the pedal goes right to the floor with no stopping power, you may have a fluid leak somewhere. If it can leak from one line, the others wont hold pressure either.

1)Most of the time when I turn the steering wheel to turn the car (Im pretty sure its either directions), the left wheel makes a loud thump type noise.

Ok, all the other questions seem to have been answered quite well but I do have a question for you. Does the thumping sound happen if the car is sitting still and you are just turning the wheel back and forth or is it in conjunction with the car moving? If it thumps while sitting still, then you might have a shot tie rod end.

What year of a w-body are you talking about ???

89-91 PM III

92-93 ABS VI

94-96 ABS VI

96-02 ABS VI

All of the above :)

As for the brakes, they ARENT too small, just inefficient. Get a set of carbon metallic or ceramic pads on all 4 brakes. Semi-metallics made it impossible for my car to emergency-stop more than once in 10 minutes before overheating and warping the rotors. Make sure your rear calipers are working and the slider pins aren't siezed.