Average Life of a 3.4dohc

sonyman87

How long did your 3.4dohc last befor it died.  

1. 1. How long did your 3.4dohc last befor it died.

• 100,000 or less
    • 100,001-130,000
    • 130,001-150,000
    • 150,001-170,000
    • 170,000-190,000
    • 190,001-200,000
    • 200,001-210,000
    • 210,001+ specify in thread

Im curious how many 3.4L dohc motors have died and how many miles were on them. i know this dosnt pertaint to everyone or very many people but it would be nice to know the average life of these motors.

A "not dead yet" choice would have been good...with a reference in the tread to how old it is. My 1993 GP DOHC is a hair under 130,000 miles. It has the original transmission. My timing belt is over 40k miles old.

A "not dead yet" choice would have been good...with a reference in the tread to how old it is. My 1993 GP DOHC is a hair under 130,000 miles. It has the original transmission. My timing belt is over 40k miles old.

i was worried about that. the object is to find out when they die.. If they were not dead then posting a milage would do nothing then throw off the accuracy..

i know Aaron can vote in this pole ;)

What's your definition of "died"? Thrown rod or spun bearing? Or anything that makes it not run right? Or anything with a repair cost greater than a certain amount? I think you might have to be more specific.

Mine has needed work, but it was fixable.

I think they last as long as a 2.8 or 3.1, it's just that you have to put the extra money into timing belts and other stuff. With proper upkeep it should be a 200,000 mile engine. My Z has 175000 on it now, original engine and trans, and it hasn't been babied, just kept up.

Depends how you drive it too. Couple monts ago i received a 92 CS International with every option they had and 109k miles on it, engine burns oil, misfires sometimes, RPMs go up and down on it and transmission is messed up and you can only got about 40mph on it. Car was abused but previous owner so engine life depends on different condtions.

My 1st LQ1 lasted about 115000. I know it has a good 80,000 hard miles and the last 15000 were just brutally beaten miles. It spun 4 lower bearings a cam carrier bearing. But now i got my new LQ1 it has about 5000 on it now and she's as strong as ever

What's your definition of "died"? Thrown rod or spun bearing? Or anything that makes it not run right? Or anything with a repair cost greater than a certain amount? I think you might have to be more specific.

Mine has needed work, but it was fixable.

Your judgement on when its dead.. and yes any of those would consitute death

142k+ and still running strong- making some funny noises though!

Where abouts? I though my transmission was making a loud noise...come to find out my water pump has about 1/8" play in every direction. I guess it's time for a change...at least it will quite things down a bit.

i am the man with the ALL MIGHTY 235xxx mile 3.4!!! and still going :D

OMG LOL FACTORY FREAK!!!!!111111111!!!1!!11

I went through 2 motors & 3 timing belts in 2 1/2 years. Thank god for the GMPP warranty.

mine is still going! 168,xxxmiles. i fear more for the tranny than the engine! anyone remember mach5gtp? i think he had 250,xxx+ original miles

well i drive the piss out of my trany to the point it fuckes up.. and it still works.. 181k miles

btw. do you like your 13* mod? does it even run better??? i have considered it but havent seen any evidence that it would help unless my shiftpoints were above 7500rpms

What evidence says you have to shift at 7500? The engine wont even make good power at 7500 with just the 13 degree exhaust retard.

How did that 1 guy spin a cam carrier bearing when they don't have bearings?

What evidence says you have to shift at 7500? The engine wont even make good power at 7500 with just the 13 degree exhaust retard.

How did that 1 guy spin a cam carrier bearing when they don't have bearings?

i have no idea..

i was assuming if you are going to rev to 7500rpms you will have headers and a custom intake manifold.

it idles rough, the idle screw was adjusted to keep it running, and i never messed w/it since. has a nice lopey sound after it warms up :D and it will be better after the exhaust system is replaced! i think it helped out, but probaly more if i'd get head work done.