A/C removal

rshissler

Since i'm gonna pull the engine out for other stuff i deicided to get ride of my a/c while im at it. do i have to put anything in its place of the pump like another pulley or just get a smaller belt???

smaller belt

but really aside of the slight weight reduction there is no realy need to remove the a/c. it dosen't hamper your power at all unless its on.

yea i know but its some weight i can lose and i know im never gonna use it cuz whats the point if u got the windows down and are goin fast enough then u dont need to a/c. lol Someone told me but removing the a/c u'll drop 80 some pounds... Thus true?? i dont think so unless im wrong

whats the point if u got the windows down and are goin fast enough then u dont need to a/c.

You'll be pissed when you're cruising along at 5-10mph in rush hour traffic and sweat is pouring down your face, and there's that A/C button right there, that does absolutely nothing anymore..

whats the point if u got the windows down and are goin fast enough then u dont need to a/c.

You'll be pissed when you're cruising along at 5-10mph in rush hour traffic and sweat is pouring down your face, and there's that A/C button right there, that does absolutely nothing anymore..

Not if he hooks it to his NAWZZZZZ!

:D

Guest TurboSedan
Get the idler pulley. The part number is around here someplace.

GM part #10044867 - i just ordered mine yesterday :)

i just removed my entire AC system a few weeks ago. i seriously doubt i lossed more than 40lbs. besides the compressor (the heaviest part by far), the rest was just a bunch of aluminum:

DSC01454.JPG

the main reason i ditched AC was to make room for FMIC later....

Get the idler pulley. The part number is around here someplace.

GM part #10044867 - i just ordered mine yesterday :)

Thank you Josh for the part #. Keeps me from doing a search.

EDIT: Wow, dirt cheap too! $14.51. Just lists a pulley though. Do I need to fab up a bracket, or does it come with that as well?

Guest TurboSedan

EDIT: Wow, dirt cheap too! $14.51. Just lists a pulley though. Do I need to fab up a bracket, or does it come with that as well?

i'm not sure what all it includes yet, but i think Canada knows. will that idler pulley work for deleting AC on the DOHC?

Actually, me and Canada were discussing this among the other things we were talking about last night on AIM.

We are both atleast %90 sure that it will work. The compressor is in the same location, and the blocks are virtually the same. They use a lot of the same pumps as well.

So, we both think it will work. And at that price, within the next few days, im going to order one.

Guest TurboSedan
I'd also really like to know what the kit comes with as I just took out my condenser and I'm looking to dump the compressor next. :twisted:

just curious did you get rid of all of the aluminum lines to the firewall too? not that it would really save any weight but it really cleans things up underhood without that stuff there.

and i think a big front mount intercooler installation will be a little easier now without AC in the way 8)

DSC01455.JPG

well i got everything out. i went to losen the lines and i knew once i pull that line start moving so i dont breath the fumes. i grabed the line, pulled, and moved... NOTHING!!! lol there was nothing in them completely shot :bash: :roll: