1990lumina

Hi all.. today while driving home from school in a blizzard the Lumina apparewntly got pissed off at me and as I entered my street I heard a high pitched squeal, then a loud ticking from the rgiht side of the car sounds like under the dash.. anyway so I'm like now what the hell did I break.

So I think well this has happened on every Chevy our family has owned and I think defrost blower motor (or whatever the correct erminology is). I click the defrost to "OFF" and the sound stopped just as I thought.

My question is: Is changing out the defrost blower motor hard on a 1990 Lumina with 3.1 (if that makes a diffence).. and is the motor inside the interior somewhere.. or are is mounted on the firewall in the engine bay somewhere? I remember our old Suburban the motor was mounted to the firewall in a plastic shrouding..so has anyone changed one on these cars.. and what all is involved??

Damn I wish this wouldn't have broke today of all days lol.. oh well life is a bitch and then you die..

Thanks in advance guys and gals!!

- Jeff L.

It kinda sucks to change but that's life.. It's on the inside in the farthest upper corner of the passenger foot well. You'll have to remove the black trim that hides the bottom of the dash, also remove the bottom piece of door trim so you can pull the carpet back. There's 3 10mm bolts in a Y-pattern that hold the fan in place. Just unplug the harness, unbolt it and fight the thing out of there cause it's very tight for space.

Be sure to take out the farthest back bolt first or you'll never get it out. it's likely you'll just need to replace the wheel. They're somewhat difficult to find but pepboys should have one.