I officially hate my car now

Darkness

With only 240k+ miles on it, the car is now officially pissing me off. Little things, nothing major, but damn, I am seriously losing patience.

The car runs great, never misses a beat, and is nice and quick.

All 4 tires have a slow leak, maybe because the previous owner put the wrong size on, or the guys who mounted them were idiots. Dunno.

The 10 disk CD changer plays 1 disk, maybe... if I'm lucky. If not, the mast broke on my power antenna, so reception is crappy. Ok, no tunes.

The snow ripped off my front valence and tore a hole in my side ground effects. Ok, I got the pieces to patch the valence and Davis is sending my a new ground effects piece.

Couple of weeks ago my driver side door handle finally broke. I was complaining about having to leave my window down partially or going through the passenger side to open my door. HA! Little did I know.

I got the replacement door handle on and for 3 days everything was great. Now, my door does not unlock and I cannot get in the driver side at all. The aftermarket alarm someone installed is suddenly on the fritz (yes, it is hooked to the power locks). The door simply will not unlock all the way. I look like a total gimp climbing in and out of my car through the passenger side.

And I still don't have the damn turn signal working right, so sometimes I can tell folks I want to turn left, and sometimes not.

I am just recovering from the flu, so I am cranky. My 1 year old (as of today) son has the flu and is cranky. My wife has been taking care of both of us, and is cranky, my garage is full of Christmas decorations still, plus a huge pile of crap that everyone thinks we somehow need, so I can't pull my car in to work on it, and it has not gotten above 35 degrees here since my door refused to cooperate.

Thus, I was out in the driveway, standing in the snow, trying to figure out how to get the car door open and working, before having to meet the inlaws out for dinner for my son's birthday, which I was somehow maneuvered into picking up the tab for. Not seeing any way in which to get the frigging door open, also seeing that my constant climbing in and out has put a 7 inch split right into the middle of my driver side seat...

I finally spotted the tool I needed; a nice, big hammer.

But instead, I thought I would come in here and try to calm down before I blow a blood vessel in my head.

I do not feel that much better, but at least now I am not going to beat the hell outta my car. :evil:

Sigh...

You just need to relax dude. Believe me, we have all been there and it sucks total dick. But it seems like you only have little things that need to be done, if you have problem with some stuff ask away that's why were all here!

Only 240k miles?? LOL

I think your car is doing quite well. I was in the same situation with my 88' Grand Prix.. it had ONLY 280,000km on it but the rest of the car was falling apart, then I found my '95 for 2k$ (it needed some work, but is a great car now) it was time for an upgrade. R.I.P. 1988 GP. :cry:

I know. I really don't have that much to crab about. I mean, it is still going on the original engine and turbo.

I have done a search on the boards to find out how I can trip the latch on the door to get it open, but I either skimmed the posts too fast or had no good mental picture on how to get it open. I am sure 90% of my frustration will go away if I can just get the door opened. At least then I can get it to work if I never use the power lock. That is, until the weather starts getting warmer and I can really tear into it.

well, FWIW: as far as the tires go...you have aluminum wheels, RIGHT?...if thats the case they're probably just corroded up around the beads...take em to a tire store and have them ground down and sealed up!... :wink:

well, FWIW: as far as the tires go...you have aluminum wheels, RIGHT?...if thats the case they're probably just corroded up around the beads...take em to a tire store and have them ground down and sealed up!... :wink:

Exactly! That won't be a permanent fix as the rims will continue to corrode/oxidize, but it should help. I noticed you live in Ohio where they use road salt; you have the salt to thank for your leaking wheels!

Exactly! That won't be a permanent fix as the rims will continue to corrode/oxidize, but it should help. I noticed you live in Ohio where they use road salt; you have the salt to thank for your leaking wheels!

yeah...but, thats a good thing for me!!...i work @ a local tire store, so the leaky wheels give me something to do! :lol:

Is it the actual lock that is not unlocking all the way, or the door handle? I'd try taking off the plastic piece which covers the (manual) lock button, and see if you can yank on it more to get it unlocked.

The driver side door lock slide is not moving forward all the way when I unlock it, regardless of the method. I can hear things moving inside the door near the latch, but it just doesn't seem to travel far enough. The power doorlocks work, and I can see that the latch tries to move a bit further, but then gets yanked back. Seems like something inside the door is bound somehow, though I can't think what that could possbily be that happens all of a sudden like that.

or to Buffalo...you seem a little cranky and at least you have some control over the situation. Hey I think it might have reached a couple degrees over 35 here in Buffalo taday :lol:

The driver side door lock slide is not moving forward all the way when I unlock it, regardless of the method. I can hear things moving inside the door near the latch, but it just doesn't seem to travel far enough. The power doorlocks work, and I can see that the latch tries to move a bit further, but then gets yanked back. Seems like something inside the door is bound somehow, though I can't think what that could possbily be that happens all of a sudden like that.

its the door latch assembly, pm me if you need details to replace that beast.

Now, "hate" does not automatically mean I am giving the car away!! I always end up with a love / hate relationship with my cars. I just want to get back on the Love side of it right now. :|

The big question is, how do I get the door open? All the other stuff is pretty minor in comparison, in my mind at least. I am pretty confident that I can at least get things working if I can only get that little inconvenience out of the way.

And yes, I had thought about taking my car in to get the tires re-mounted and the wheels cleaned up, but need to find a place that is not going to charge me damn near as much as a new set of wheels + tires.

try hitting the door sometimes that works, else your gona have to pull the pannel from inside the car and play with the latch till it pops open

I'll try giving it some "gentle nudges" in the AM, maybe tapping around the door latch area and whatnot. I dunno.. I am open to just about anything at this point.

Is there anything worth playing with that can be reached by rolling the window all the way down and going through the window channel?

I know how it is, man..I've grown so fucking tired and I can only thank god that a newer Lumina is on the way. I've had a door that I can't open for 5 months, a window that hasn't worked for a year, seats that have never matched except when I had the most uncomfortable mexican-modified AQ9's ever, along with numerous transmission anomalies which finally caused it's near-demise. Now this red/gray/white/black/maroon piece of shit is stuck in my garage, unmovable because it won't goddamn start. It appears to be a crank sensor, which I'm NOT fixing. I started pulling out parts yesterday. Got my CD player and DIC out. '92 Lumina Euro 3.4 here I come.

I will say this, I'd take a TGP with those "minor" problems anyday. I know they're a pain in the ass, but that's how it is owning a W-body. It took me to compile a page-long list of problems with my car before I decided that I just couldn't keep putting money in it. You'll be the same way.. it's a disease.