Anyone else's engines get dirty in the winter time??

slick

I popped open my hood yesterday, and looked in disbelief. It looked as if dirty ass water had been sprayed all over the damn place!! I didn't have time to wipe it down yesterday, but I did today.

Anyways, it was all over. The STB was even dirty. Anyone else having these same problems?

I can't tell !!! :lol:

I didn't figure you would know anyways!!

Winter reeks havock on all cars in the rust belt. I'm suprised it made it to the STB, what do you guys think is the best way to clean our engines?

Clorox Wipes.

I think Simple Green Automotive is about the best degreaser out there.

Yeah, but would you spray water straight onto your car?

Clorox Wipes.

I think Simple Green Automotive is about the best degreaser out there.

Yeah, but would you spray water straight onto your car?

I've always wanted to power wash my engine, but I'm too chicken to do it. With my luck I'd end up soaking the coils or something. Lots of people do it though. Just be sure you cover up everything important.

Get some stuff called "Foamy Engine Brite" (aerosol can, white label with blue lettering, orange cap/top.) Get the motor nice and warm. Remove the airbox. Get some small trash bags and some masking tape. Use a bag and tape to seal off the throttle body and ingition coils. Hose everything down with the Engine Brite and let it soak for a few minutes. Spray some more on until the can's gone. Get out the ole garden hose (or go to a Coin-Op Carwash and use the pressure washer) and spray the holy hell out of it. Let 'er drip dry for a few minutes, then remove the plastic and reinstall the airbox. Start the car and let it run a few minutes before you drive off (but be sure to drive around for a half hour or so to be sure everything gets dried off...)

Thanks for the detailed instructions! I'm going to the car wash tonight and I may try this out. I've found the automotive variety of Simple Green cleans better than Foamy Engine Brite however.

My engine didn't get dirty till today when I went puddle jumping on the way home from school lol..

I know my Dad's car gets a shit load of crap all over the motor in winter since he is on the freeway all the time in rush hour and the hood on his car closes like shit so there is a quarter inch gap between the hood and headlights/grille. My Lumiee closes nice a tight to everything, I love Chevy for that, their door panels, trunks and hoods and fenders and everything actually line up how they are suppose to be, not like a Ford where the hood is fucked, the fenders don't line up with the doors and what not..

When I first got my Lumina I put the pressure washer to the motor, probably got stuff wet I shouldn't have and nothing happened, anyway I know I've said I like winter.. well I've had just about enough of it for one year, our fucking city won't plow the streets so we have ruts everywhere, and these aren't just small ruts, they are deep ones.. it is +6C here today, and suppose to be tomorrow again, then snow Friday and saturday and the temps are suppose to go down again :bawl: , oh well

- Jeff L.

My car is soo dirty, it's not even funny. My car isn't even black anymore :lol:

But I'm gonna wash it Friday.. it has to look nice for our Grand Prix Meet on Saturday. :wink:

believe it or not, I washed my car on Monday....she is black again.

but what about the engine bay? :wink:

I think the engine is lucky to even see Jeremy's face!

But anyways, I wiped it down some. It probably is from all the puddles up here, and it doesn't help that my car is lowered either.

eh mine doesnt look that bad. i didnt notice it being any more dirty than it was in the summer time. But ill still simple green the hell out of it when its nice out again.....sigh......

it being sunny and 35+ here this week is a little pick-me-up, until spring comes.

Guest TurboSedan
Get some stuff called "Foamy Engine Brite" (aerosol can, white label with blue lettering, orange cap/top.) Get the motor nice and warm. Remove the airbox. Get some small trash bags and some masking tape. Use a bag and tape to seal off the throttle body and ingition coils. Hose everything down with the Engine Brite and let it soak for a few minutes. Spray some more on until the can's gone. Get out the ole garden hose (or go to a Coin-Op Carwash and use the pressure washer) and spray the holy hell out of it. Let 'er drip dry for a few minutes, then remove the plastic and reinstall the airbox. Start the car and let it run a few minutes before you drive off (but be sure to drive around for a half hour or so to be sure everything gets dried off...)

agree 100%. i powerwash my engine and i never worry about it and never have any troubles....even if i don't cover anything. usually i DON'T cover anything on my 3.1 (i do on my 2.2 Turbo however). i just spray degreaser everywhere (avoiding the alternator, coil packs, and the spark plugs). i then go to high pressure rinse and hold the wand back from the engine about 4-5 ft. while i rinse all the degreaser away. the car has always started up an ran like nothing happened...the only differenct being the engine is a helluva lot cleaner.

i'm a BIG fan of Simple Green, that shit rocks.

Gunk Citrus Engine brite works well for degreasing also, available in aerosol cans. I use that, Simple Green, GoJo wipes, etc.. and detail the under the hood(E303 protectant on hoses and other plastic really shines things up nicely). If you have paint stains from grease and whatnot, I've found that Comet(household cleaner) in the green metal/cardboard cans will remove the stains without harming your paint(just pour a little on a damp rag and have fun scrubbing out the stains :wink: ).

I saved this from a long time ago.....

"Step 1 - open hood and drape wet towels over your fenders and bumper.

Step 2 - spray the engine and inner fenders and anything else you can get (short of the alt and coils/ecm) at with a FOAMING ENGINE DEGREASER - autozone's own brand works very well as does STP. Generally simple green is not strong enough and non-foaming stuff runs off before it has enough time to desolve grease, etc.

Step 3 - Allow the degreaser to set for 5 minutes - reapply more degreaser - and allow it to sit 5 more minutes

Step 4 - Rinse the motor with a stream of cold water, making sure to get any and all traces of degreaser out of/off of everything. When you see whitishness in the water (milky looking) puddles and drippings then you know you haven't got all of the degreaser off.

Step 5 - After rinsing wipe off what you can with a clean rag, don't fret over what you can't get you just don't want puddles of water as they take longer to evaporate and that means you have to wait longer before you can detail the compartment.

Step 6 - Run the car for a few minutes to evaporate what's left, or take it for a little drive (10-15 mins is plenty of time)

Step 7 - After it is "dry" (a little wetness is OK), spray EVERYTHING liberally with CD-2 ENGINE DETAILER. Coat everything liberally and then allow to air dry for a little bit, then take the car for a drive to warm up the motor and "set" the resins in the engine detailer.

Step 8 - After you have set the detailer by warming up the engine, take another clean rag and wipe any runs/dribbles of the detailer for a smooth finish.

Step 9 - Get on the W-Body message board and add to the thread "SuperBuick Rules Earth" which discusses why his engine detailing advice is so awesome and how much better your engine looks because you tried his process."

:mrgreen: