Seat belt woes....

jeremy

Springs inside the belt retractor could have possibly lost there tension. I would suggest seeing if you can take them apart. Look for anything loose or broken. If it doesn't look like you can fix them, I'd hit up a JY and try to find some new retractors.

My driver side seatbelt used to do that.. only the top half of it. Sometimes there would barely been any tension, but I'd pull it a few times and it would eventually go back in. One time it I tried for like ten minutes and it didn't budge.. still just hung out. I buckled anyway (bottom still had tension), then like 5 minutes while driving it nearly snapped back into the door. It hasn't done it since.. I dunno what was happening or how it fixed itself. I was about to just replace it with a j/y belt.

Yours are piller-mounted, correct? I noticed the driver's belt on my Regal is slow to retract (from time to time) as well. Sometimes I have to feed it through the "pivot" (or "hanger" or whatever the hell that thing on the B-pillar is called) to help it along. It's not to the point of being annoying yet. Must be a common problem with these cars...

Assuming you have the "automatic" saftety belts, if you use them as intended you can leave them latched all the time and just open the door and slide out. This only applies if you have the belts on the doors of course (if they're on the B-pillar this doesn't apply). I think its a pain, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about your belts retracting.

I agree, its a stupid idea. Still, having those "auto" belts gets me a $25 deduction off my insurance premium!
I get a bigger deduction for having Driver and Passenger Airbags on all 3 cars :lol: ...

I agree, its a stupid idea. Still, having those "auto" belts gets me a $25 deduction off my insurance premium!

same here...silly though but hell it saves me $$ so why not?

Do you guys think our seatbelts will still lock in a crash? I have my doubts.

The door seatbelts will lock up in a sudden stop/Crash. The B-piller mounted seatbelts lock up if you pull on them quickly. The Door mounted ones Lock up only when you face your nose down a hill, or stop suddenly. Also, the door mounted ones will not lock if the door is open.

Do you guys think our seatbelts will still lock in a crash? I have my doubts.

Our seatbelts DO lock like they're supposed to.

The seatbacks on the other hand, don't lock at all. I've hit the brakes hard, and the seatbelts locked, but the damn seats fly forward and my seat mashed me into the belt.

The seatbacks on the other hand, don't lock at all. I've hit the brakes hard, and the seatbelts locked, but the damn seats fly forward and my seat mashed me into the belt.

Didn't GM have a recall on the seat latches or something?

The ones in my Regal work (Saw it happen yesterday.) I know that my Regal wasn't in that seat latch recall though. Not sure if the cutlass's seats latch. Never really hit the brakes hard in that.

I'm not aware of a seat latch recall.

I know my 89, the 88, and I swear I think even the 94's seats love to fly forward on hard braking.

I have NEVER EVER had to use that little lever thingie to unlatch a seat!

Not have I. I put my backbag in the backseat everday. All i have to do is just pull the seatback forward and plop it in its place. Never have i used the lever.

I'm not aware of a seat latch recall.

I know my 89, the 88, and I swear I think even the 94's seats love to fly forward on hard braking.

I'll see if I can find that recall.

I never use that lever also, but I think it's there just in case the seat doesn't unlock after hard braking.

EDIT:

Summary:

THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER FRONT SEAT MANUAL RECLINING MECHANISMS DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FMVSS 207, "SEATING SYSTEMS." THE SEAT BACK MECHANISMS WILL NOT LATCH UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

Consequence:

THE SEATS MAY RECLINE WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING, RESULTINGIN A HAZARD TO SEAT OCCUPANTS AND POSSIBLE LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL.

Seems that this recall is only for some 93 cars though.

Well, it only does it with braking hard enough to make the car nosedive (not so much a problem since I upgraded the rear calipers). Even without braking too hard, the empty passenger seat will fly forward though.

Oh, ok.

In my service manual it has a procedure on the inertia seatback lock and the first thing it says to do is to check to see if the inertia release lever is binding or interference.

That could be why they don't lock. the lever could be stuck in the release postion.

I have all the same problems as you guys. Its annoying as heck to have the empty passenger seat fly forward whenever I hit the breaks hard.

I've always wondered why that lever on the back of the seat never did anything. My seats go forward by themselves, without needing to unlatch anything.