W-Body door handles are the worst design ever

SmokesGTP

Well if anyone read my other posts about my starter I got it started but when I went to get into it after it sat for a few days the drivers side door handle wont work. It pulls and seems to be moving the mechanism inside the door but only the inside handle works. It has always obviously been alot more worn than the passenger side but until I used the key on it it always opened. I'm afraid i messed up the lock because I have probly used the key about twice in 6 months, and now no matter what I try it wont open from the outside. Anyone else have this happen? and how much did it run you? (I assume alot)God what a design a piece of pot metal suppose to hold up to the constant opening and closing of these overly heavy doors. Ridiculous :x

Brand new on ebay...if you can't find it under Grand prix, find it under Beretta...same exterior handles..prone to breaking. Brand new on Ebay with a lifetime warrantly no less.

isnt true that CS and GP have same door handles and i tried Beretta's once and it was little big bigger then the ones on my CS, they look the same but are little big higher and larger.

Well if anyone read my other posts about my starter I got it started but when I went to get into it after it sat for a few days the drivers side door handle wont work. It pulls and seems to be moving the mechanism inside the door but only the inside handle works. It has always obviously been alot more worn than the passenger side but until I used the key on it it always opened. I'm afraid i messed up the lock because I have probly used the key about twice in 6 months, and now no matter what I try it wont open from the outside. Anyone else have this happen? and how much did it run you? (I assume alot)God what a design a piece of pot metal suppose to hold up to the constant opening and closing of these overly heavy doors. Ridiculous :x

From my really poor memory:

Remove the door handle assembly from the door. You'll see that there's a rod that runs down to the door latch mechanism. On one end of the rod there should be a plastic end that can be adjusted by threading it up and dow the rod. Remove that rod end (IIRC, it's the door handle end) and adjust the rod end so that the rod is "longer" (or shorter?). Trial and error adjustments should get your door to open again.

Beretta and CS door handles do not work on a Grand Prix.

Beretta door handles are way off. CS door handles are the same size, but the bottoms are different due to the trim differences.

If the door handle is not loose and floppy indicating a break in the metal, then it's probably just out of adjustment. Since you can open it, I'd remove the plastic access panel and readjust the linkage. Using a small screwdriver, remove a clip on the end of the little metal thing that is threaded onto the linkage. Now you can turn the little metal thing up and down. This usually fixes it unless the door handle itself is physically broken.

If you pull the handle just enough to unlatch the door and then pull it open with your fingers just above the handle then you will never have another door handle break. You get used to opening them like that after awhile.

Guest Anonymous

I was looking through a catalog at work and found something I'm going to try. It's called "Pot Metal Weld". I wonder if it will hold up on a door handle. I saved my broken one to try it on. We'll see how it goes.

i bought one a year ago from E-bay and it works great. only thing that sucks is thoes stock BS junk metal nuts that hold them on.. i cant get them to stay on tight so i pulled them off and JB welded the Fricking think to the door.

RedZ

Mine is loose and floppy but it is still moving the mechanism inside the door I can hear it. idk whether its broke or what but I managed to get it open one time by really pulling but if i do that again I'm sure it will break off.

Be very careful with the clip that holds the rod onto the handle mech.

If this gets damaged and falls off you will be locked out.

Do not put the cover back on until you are sure you have plenty of travel left when the handle tops out. After you put the cover back you will not be able to reach the pole with a screw driver to push it down with the door shut, in the case you cannot open it with the handle. Leave the other door unlocked while doing this.

Over the years the doors settle and the metals in the mech's stretch.

Needs adjustments as mentioned in an earlier reply.

I find that the metal rod connecting the handle to the latch just bends with excessive force, especially in the winter whan frozen doors are more common, I just reinforced/readjusted the rod by welding 2 together to make them stronger. you have to cut the ends off one of the rods obviously.

I believe the GM replacement for the CS coupe handle includes the entire black trim piece that runs from top to bottom of the window.

Hinges wear and the door sags with time, this makes it harder to open the door and puts more stress on the handle. How difficult is hinge replacement?

the metal bar that hangs down inside the handle on my cutlass broke on the drivers side and theres no way to fix this im wondering what a scrap yard would charge to get a new handle ?

Yeah, the door handle cannot be separated from the black trim piece, it's sold as an assembly.

Scrap yards around here want $25 for used one, but a brand new one is only $53 or so from GM and they have a MUCH nicer feel than a used one, I'd highly recommend just buying a brand new one.