Black90Euro

Ok ... I got a full gauge cluster from a '90 Lumina and I have a base in my '90 . I also hope to get the harness or part of the harness the cluster came out of. My question is how much wiring will be involved in the swap. I've searched are read some other posts but not for my specific year car.

Any help/comments/hints would be great. Also I'm in no hurry to do this in the cold weather so no hurry.

Thanks , Mark

you are going to have to change the coolant temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor from a light indicator to a gauge sensor. also you are going to have to change the plugs (I think). The tach I am not sure how to get working, you may have to run wires for it.

all you should need to do is find the rpm sending wire coming from the ecu and splice into it. i did this on my 92 cavalier when i added a stand alone tach and it worked like a charm.

It will be the same procedure for all Lumina's 90-94. I have a how-to I'm trying to have posted on the site, until then anyone who wants it just give me your email address and I'll send it to you.

It will be the same procedure for all Lumina's 90-94. I have a how-to I'm trying to have posted on the site, until then anyone who wants it just give me your email address and I'll send it to you.

post it in this thread...then maybe we can get it added to the FAQs

The white tube is a sleeve for the column shifter. You can either fish it out, or cut it like I did. The gages cluster should have a blank that in the same spot. As for the wiring, it isn't easy, every wire in the harness, except for one, will need to be moved. There are two white wires on the ICM, one is for the tach, one is for the ECM. I did a write up on it back sometime ago about what wires need moved and which wires to splice into. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I have it in TXT format somewhere.

The white tube is a sleeve for the column shifter. You can either fish it out, or cut it like I did. The gages cluster should have a blank that in the same spot. As for the wiring, it isn't easy, every wire in the harness, except for one, will need to be moved. There are two white wires on the ICM, one is for the tach, one is for the ECM. I did a write up on it back sometime ago about what wires need moved and which wires to splice into. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I have it in TXT format somewhere.

I got the wiring from the write up. But today when I removed the gauge cluster I cut the white tube. Will I need it to install it in my other car. Or will I have to switch tubes?

I had standard gauges on my 90 lumina and got a gauge cluster and wiring from another lumina just like your doing. I had to take the whole dash out which includes like 30 screws and bolts. The wiring is everthing in the dash to the firewall. The tach works, temp and oil dont of course, to get those to work youll need new sensors plus the wiring to go to those sensors which means new wiring for the engine. To me not necessary. Tach works though. Dash removal and install is quite a job!! let me know if you need help

I had standard gauges on my 90 lumina and got a gauge cluster and wiring from another lumina just like your doing. I had to take the whole dash out which includes like 30 screws and bolts. The wiring is everthing in the dash to the firewall. The tach works, temp and oil dont of course, to get those to work youll need new sensors plus the wiring to go to those sensors which means new wiring for the engine. To me not necessary. Tach works though. Dash removal and install is quite a job!! let me know if you need help

I hate to say it but you haven't a clue of what you're talking about. :oops:

This is such a simple job I could do it in about an hour or so.

All you need to do is re-arrange all but one of the wires in the cluster plug, then split the power wire cause the full cluster has two inputs. You also need run the tach wire from the ICM under the coils to the dash. Then go get a coolant temp and oil pressure sender for a car with the full cluster, swap them and you're done. No rewiring the car or engine....

Not trying to flame ya but that's really bad advice.

not even suggesting to how to do it, just letting him know how i did it and the results. If you have a different way good. Just throwing in my two cents helpful or obviosly not

well if I get the original harness the gauge cluster came from I plan to solider the Full connector onto to the base harness so if there's a problem I can re-use the Base just by changing the connectors.

i.e I'll have two connectors. make sense ... and I still am not sure about the odometer mine has a little over 64k and the other has 165k+ have a pro swap and certify it :?:

Mark

Sorry Juicedlumina I didn't intend for it to sound so harsh, it's too bad you weren't around here when you did it... I can imagine how much work that was to do that way.

Black90Euro,

I'm pretty sure the odometers do not interchange between the base and full clusters. I know some people have taken them apart and set the numbers where they wanted it but that's pretty tricky. You're best option for the swap is the way I described although the tach signal should already be in the car somewhere which would make it much easier to do.

Anyone with a service manual wanna take a look and see where the tach signal should be on any first gen originally equipped with full cluster?

Here is the post I typed up with all the pinouts for the Lumina. Let me know if you need any additional help.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5684&highlight=lumina+instrument

No I'm thinking that the cluster source wire on the ICM has to go somewhere right? Would it not be in the interior already in the c200 or something..... That could save all the hassle of running the wire from the engine bay, I'd gladly change mine if it were inside the car already.

Sorry Juicedlumina I didn't intend for it to sound so harsh, it's too bad you weren't around here when you did it... I can imagine how much work that was to do that way.

Black90Euro,

I'm pretty sure the odometers do not interchange between the base and full clusters. I know some people have taken them apart and set the numbers where they wanted it but that's pretty tricky. You're best option for the swap is the way I described although the tach signal should already be in the car somewhere which would make it much easier to do.

Anyone with a service manual wanna take a look and see where the tach signal should be on any first gen originally equipped with full cluster?

shouldn't a shop that repairs odometers be able to roll back/correct it?

also the car was supposed to have a Full cluster but they weren't available when my car was built according to the brochure about the car

actually i believe the number rolls do interchange. just 2 bolts that hold it in the cluster, just pull your numbers and drop them in the new cluster