choosing rims for the regal

taylerade

im in the process of searching on the web for rims that'll look good on my regal. i can say i like that, i dont like that by just looking at the rims. then with what i like, i gotta see what it looks like on the car. whats the most practical way to approach this? i realize the selection is limited for my model, do you have any specific suggestions as to what looks GREAT on the regal? they need to be 17's. also chrome is gonna be too much, alloy metal is gonna do the trick. also i want to avoid the spoke type such as GnatGoSplat's, with those 5 spokes (actually any number of spokes is one too many). dont get me wrong, they look grrreat on his car. its just that spokes and regal dont mix, IMO.

i found some "interactive wheel systems" on the web, where images of the car are presented with whatever rim is clicked. Unfortunately not even BUICK is listed. not much are to be found at ebay either. and yes i even used "GM" as a search term.

i'm choosy when it comes to my car, and definitely will take that same approach with the rims, because 1) they are not cheap 2) rims make significant impact on how the car appears.

any leads to interactive stuff on the web where i can see my regal with the rims on them, or any suggestions as to specific names of rims, or pictures of regals with great looking rims? mucho gracias!

Tayler,

Check TireRack.com... I just ran a 1994 Regal and it appeared for me. Also, run the bolt pattern of the W-Body to get a bigger selection of wheels (5 x 115mm). See where that gets you and hopefully you'll find something you like!

- RedFox340

I dont know what you have now , but I'd just get a set of 16" Regal wheels and be done with it. Now that you say you dont want spokes or chrome. You'll save atleast half or even more if you wait. I've seen these sell for 150.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33748&item=1876745117

I bought a set of these for my 86 LeSabre Limited this fall , I really like em and they will look great on my car with 235 50 16's. They have 1/2" more backspacing than old LeSabre wheels but fit fine I may still try a spacer to set them out further. Can we trust spacers ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33748&item=2400142727

These if you like them but I dont.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33748&item=1876675722

These (not a set) show up from time to time but I'm not sure if I like them or not. I've seen them chrome. Might be 15's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33748&item=2400079508

I've gotten many factory Buick wheels off e-bay and yards I have a collection I really like.Cheap

86 15X6 LeSabre GN wheels 100.00 need refinishing .Look like this car has

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/86lgn.htm

87-89 Lesabre T-type 5 spoke wheels 56+shipping 123.00 decent usable shape

Above mentioned 16X6.5 $306.00 delivered excellent shape

85-89 Century Ttype 14x6.5 multi finned $80.?? delivered. Going to use them with widest lowest profile tires possible for lower ratio 1/4 mile times only. Sharp wheels.

I also have a set of 15X6 late 80's aluminum "spoked" Oldsmobile wheels , common but I believe they are a really sharp wheel. great usuable shape.

Myself I'll spend the money 17's cost on more important stuff. The tires are even more money and what do you gain ? .003g when pushed to the max? BFD . Imagine what you could do to a suspension or engine with the money spent on 17's and tires. My opinion. :wink:

Good luck ! I think I'm going to put the LeSabre t-type wheels w/225-60-15's on my Regal in the spring. Now? 15" stainless steel Buick spoke hubcaps on 205-70-15 whitewalls :P Use em up !

Hmmmm, you don't like spokes... what's left? :lol:

What style do you like? I look at different wheels all the time and might come across something interesting, although "no spokes" is kind of tough criteria!

Anyway, a long long time ago I Photoshopped a Regal with the AE 077's that I Photoshopped onto my car. I think they looked awesome and that pic alone made me think, "hmmm, maybe I need to add a Regal to my collection".

Regal w/spokes:

94RegalGS-ae077.jpg

Regals look ok with spokes, at least I think. I think they look crappy with 5-spokes (except for huge ones like in shawns pic). Try a 7 or 8-spoke design, they dont look to bad.

You have a very nice regal BTW!

5.jpg

hey superbuick no offense to your baby regal. i truly believe you have the best regal in this forum. :D

Steve LS, those rims look superb! just would like to see them on the car... especially on a regal..... that would help me make the final decision

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33748&item=2400142727

Taylorade , sorry mine are still tireless . I did just have the wheels off my LeSabre last week and pulled one wheel out to check fit - finally. The inside hole diameter for hub is exact which is a strength +. Wheels are not supposed to be held inplace by lugnuts alone. I do not know that the Regal has the same backspacing as the LeSabre and dont intend on removing the fronts from the Regal anytime soon. But may to put on some snows I have. If I do I'll check one of them on there.

I really like the look of these wheels and it did look great even without tire and only one ,up on a jack no less but still reallly hard to get full effect. I knew they would look great on a Buick their classy ! Very fitting. I believe they will look their place when mounted with 235-50-16's. I'm probably going to go with white letter TA's also. I'm old school. Someone just got a set of these for less than 200.00 because the seller did not post a reserve. I bought mine 275 "buy it now" because no one was bidding and they would not make reserve. They are as new so with shipping is was still only 75 a wheel which is much less than after market and they were the exact look I wanted. I'll try to check fit on Regal but you could always put a post or call a tire/wheel dealer and find out what the backspacing for Regal and LeSabre are. I've also noticed many of the road race cars have wheels of this style. It lookes like they would look good with finished lug nuts and no center covers if you dont like that look. But on these wheels I like the centers and they say BUICK which is a + for me.

Pontiac GP's and Bonnevilles have had some nice wheels also. You could cruise through there on eBay. pontiac wheels

Superbuick , I checked your page. thumbs up. I test drove one of those for the next familly car (reads wifes car) , same exact car with the GS wheels and red stripe. Black ,grey leather. Had my 13 year old daughter with me. She wanted it bad ! :) she is saying now that it had black leather but frankly I cant remember. I found a 97 Olds LSS with L67 and got that for the wife instead. Much more money but more practical for say our trips to Tennessee or even to the city, shopping, ect. I have enough if not to many 2dr. toys as it stand anyhow and the LSS will clean house with any of them anyhow. :lol: even handles pretty good if you ignore the initial couple inches of body roll.

didnt think of photoshopping it. my verdict: ugh

new_rim.jpg

finding wheels on ebay is much easier, i find, with using bolt pattern as search term (in my instance, 5x115)

i know i've seen rims i like, but they dont fit. DAMN. :x

i have no idea why the photo's not showing up in here... here's the link in case, it seems more reliable even though its the same

This would look good on my ride as well, but thats not in the cards i don't think :( :shock:

I personally don't think that wheel would look good on my ride, but that woman sure would.

My wife wouldn't like it though...

RedZMonte: all those rims on that page DO look great ... only they wouldn't on a regal. that one you want on your lumina would be .. :shock: eye candy :shock: .

another option: superbuick and i agree i could keep my rims and put 1" wheel spacers on them, lower the tire profile to 55. like the other guy said, makes more money available for other stuff.

taylorade you never said what wheels you had ? also running your ebay search by lug spacing will not get you the wheels that people dont list bolt pattern for, and many dont.Also if you wind up with smaller diameter tires you'll have speedometer era and possibly some transmission issues if you have a E tranny. I do not know what the overall effects are first hand.

1" wheel spacers ? I'm scared !

mine are for sale with all reciepts and warrantys, 17 inch chrome Alba inertias 235/45/17 Nitto 555's with 75% tread left, they are stored right now in my basement, i have reciepts for over $2200, i will sell for $950 plus shippin or we can meet somewhere like half way. Need the cash for college, never seen snow or salt or a curb not a single scratch. Let me know Jay

Maybe going to have to be aftermarket wider with less backspacing if he wants them out tight to the fender wells. Thick spacers will be out past the hub centers and will leave the lugs to do the centering, weight carrying , G forces as well as breaking and excelleration torque. Maybe OK , maybe NOT I really dont know. I'm going to try to keep mine on the hubs but use maybe 1/4 inch to get them out alittle.

My understanding is

6" rims 225 OK

6.5 rims 235 OK

some have put

235 on 6" and 245 on 6.5" but I've een told it makes them balloon and cause premature tire ware.

Any thoughts ?