What shade of tint????

supreme_style21

I need tint on this thing. I'm just undecided as to what shade to go with. I think its too easy to make a red car look cheesy. Too dark looks bad.. too light looks bad. Throw me some opinions/pictures.. I need all the suggestions I can get. I've seen a few red GP's that look so crappy because of the tint. Here's what its going on..

side.JPG

rearside.JPG

My brother just got his car tinted. I think he got 5% in the rear and 20% on the sides. Here is the thread for it: http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25280.

I've had tint on all my cars... so I'm uncomfortable without it. But is it just me, or are red cars hard to tint? I've never had to work with a red car. There is a red GP in town here with at least 5% all around and it looks shitty.. very cheap. I'm not sure how a light tint would look.

i think i'd go with like 35% all the way around personally...then it wouldnt be too dark yet you will be able to notice that its tinted...i've really never seen a red car tinted 35% but a friend of mine has 35% on her white gtp and it looks pretty good...

My buddy who has the same car as you, put 35% all the way around and it looks tits! Well, that was until he got pulled over and had to rip it off on the spot. Damn PA...anyway...it would look good, IMO, with just 35.

I've got the same problem..

my car does currently have some tint, but it's like 50% or something (I can only tell it has tint because of the edges of the tint on the door windows). I had 25% on my old black GP and it looked good, but I don't know if it would be too dark for my red car. I'm thinking maybe 35%, but until I know for sure tinting is gonna be last on my list of things to do.

Iv got i think 10% in the back, and 20-25% on the sides, cause the old lady tinted them, and i dont exactly know what, but it looks good

Hmm... I like that... You should find out for sure what each is tinted at.

does anyone wanna take a guess at what the tint on my car was, lol, i have no idea

about 35% all the way around, and it has faded a little and turned purple.

That is what my lumina tint is starting to do and i lost the dammed reciept that guarentees it not to do so. Dammit later Jay

20 is dark around here, the cops don't like that too much. If i were you i'd go 20% in back and 35% up front, unless your like me and can see fine through limo tint in back. Later Jay

I'd paint them black if I could.

The only other issue I'm trying to figure out is legality. Technically, I live in Minnesota, where tint is 50%. I live right on the border of North Dakota, where I work and spend the majority of my time. ND doesn't give a crap about tint, for the most part. Whereas some parts of MN are VERY anal.

I want to have it professionally done, but I am not going to risk it with the law. I'd hate to be out $250 because of that. I'll do it myself, but I've gotta experiment with the shading. But I will probably have the rear window done by the pros. I don't have the patience for that one.

Another thing is the rear window itself. When that one is tinted, it'll make the rest of the tint appear darker than what it is. 20% in the rear will make the overall car look much darker than a 35%.. so I have to keep that in mind as well.

I have 0% on the rear and 20% up front :peace:

I put 0 on the back because I can't use them anyway and it was pretty fugly looking at a box in the window.

I got pulled over 30 minutes after I first got it on the road, I was thinking 'damnit all that work for nothing' but the cop didn't care (they usually don't care about anything around here).

He actually pulled me over because my license plates were 3 months expired, but no ticket for that either. I played dumb, I was actually seeing how long I could go without being caught.

365339_152_full.jpg

I love that picture, I just should have repainted the mirror before I took it.

I have 20% (medium) on the back 3 of my Cutlass. Same darkness as the factory tint on my truck's back 3.

It's perfect if you need good visibility at night, it's actually rather light from the inside. I don't drive at night much, so I actually wish I went with 5% (limo).

Get Solargard and it won't discolor, not even when parked outside in the sun for 5yrs. My tint has become orange-peely looking from the inside though. I need to get it redone, I'll probably go for limo all the way around (minus windshield). Only thing that sucks about tint on the Cutlass is it has that annoying dot-matrix that traps air.