rebuilt crossover pipe fitment problem (EDIT: my fault)

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

first off, this is not a JeffM crossover pipe, i had this one done by RedZMonte.

today after installing my TGP exhaust manifolds i test fitted the rebuilt crossover pipe with the Turbo 3.1 on the engine stand. it seems like the rear flex bellow may interfere with the heater core pipe fitting where it goes into the LIM (under the thermostat area). has anyone else here had a problem like this?

Guest TurboSedan
He needs to improve his welding skills.

So.....what can you do about this? The heat off the cross-over pipe would scare me a bit.

haha yeah, i think Shane has gotten shit about his welding skills before. but he only charged me $80, so i can't complain. i'm not sure what i'm going to do about the problem yet....maybe find a different fitting or something. i definately need a working heater lol.

On my TGP when I did the rebuild I had an issue with that. I just went with a brand new fitting to go in there so I didn't have to worry about stripping it. It will go in, just don't x-thread it. As long as it's not grinding on the bellow I think it will be ok.

Guest TurboSedan

was the new fitting you bought just like the original or different? i'm going to try to look for one that is shorter. and yeah i'll connect the heater core line & tighten it before i re-install the crossover pipe. it'll still be close but hopefully i can get it to where the fitting doesn't actually contact the flex bellow or at least barely touches it. thanks for the input.

that particular stlye pipe may not be easy to come by. One end is iron pipe thread, and the other is a fitting. Dealer may have it but you would be hard pressed to come by the right one anywhere else, aka home depot or loews or anything. if you knew someone that could modify that pipe it would be sweet and make that job so much easier. :shock:

The pipe end that goes into that fitting is a slide fit with a o-ring seal. Short of having one custom made, there is not much you can do. what you tried to save, is going to cost you now...

Be careful removing the old one it is a cheap pot metal that likes to break.

Guest TurboSedan
what you tried to save, is going to cost you now...

yeah yeah Jim i get your point :roll: this problem isn't going to cost $400 to fix however.

anyways, i found that my '91 LIM uses a completely different fitting, i'm going to try using that instead. or....the heater core will be fead by another source.

Be careful removing the old one it is a cheap pot metal that likes to break.

I've been giving this a lot of thought as to how to help you out...

I've had to fix several customer car because of that fitting corroding and leaking, I'd suggest using a standard heater hose fitting then attach heater hose to the fitting and slip it into some of the high temp insulation that summit racing sells, and try to wire tie it away from that billow. FWIW

His welds are good...his welding skills are not. But what am I to say..Mine just plain suck. Well what can I do with an arc welder :mrgreen: .

It looks like the x-over to manafold pipe was clocked wrong. Its clocked upward instead of outward. Might want to check the manafold to flared end of the x-over..it might not be sealing. Get some clay and put a nice ring on both ends and install the x-over. The clay will give you a good indicator if its sealing good. I know mine wasn't untill I rewelded it. And yes..a pro cleaned up my mess :lol: . Should have just bought the dam thing. :bash:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TurboSedan
here is a pic of the problem:

DSC01614.JPG

UPDATE: this problem turned out to be my own stupid fault, and NOT the person who rebuilt the pipe! the problem was that i had the crossover pipe bolted to the exhaust manifolds while it was on the engine stand. it turns out that part of the engine stand that bolts to the bellhousing was getting in the way and not letting the pipe bolt up to the ends of the exhaust manifolds in the right posistion. i mocked up the crossover/turbo & downpipe again today with the engine & transmission in the car and guess what? i now have about an inch of clearance between the flex bellow and the heater core supply fitting! it fits great now bigthumbsup.gif

Guest TurboSedan

i have a good pic of the amount clearance i now have in that area, i'll post it tomarrow :)

for awhile there i thought i might have to block off the heater core....that would have sucked!

Joshua, sometimes you may find the exhaust manifold it not placed properly for your pipe, its common, check the amount of slop the exhaust manifold bolt holes have :roll: , the exhaust manifold can move all over the place so......might be able to loosen the bolts so the pipe will not be reaching so far over to attach to it 8)

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan

good info to know thanks Jeff. i remember now when i replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets a few weeks ago that the bolt holes were bigger than the bolts themselves so that makes sense. i'm going to R&R the turbo again tomarrow if/when i get some new SS bolts for the downpipe and crossover flanges. i might just have to order them from McMaster Carr.

Cool, and it does make for fun when trying to port match these :lol: I am sure you are using some anti/sieze for the bolt threads, seems you are more like me taking things off all the time trying different tricks, this makes it nice, other people need to do the same and to also not worry about the anti-sieze grease drying out, its the metal powder that is left that keeps the threads from getting stuck 8)

Jeff M