H4351 seal beam fix

ixlar8

I just had to replace a burnt out seal beam on my sister-in-laws 92 Supreme. I priced the seal beam at a local auto supply place. The low beam is $24.95.

So to try and beat the system I thought I would share my tech tip. The original seal beam is a Wagner H4351.

The lamp and plastic holder is bonded to the glass so you have to replace the whole headlamp. Carefully remove the round black plastic bulb holder from the glass lens. You can do this with a small grinder (Dremel) or a coarse file. Once you have removed the plastic and the bulb, clean up the old sealant from the opening in the lens. Now go down to your local parts store and purchase a GE 9006 HB4 replacement bulb and a small tube of high heat silicon sealant. Apply plenty of sealant around the base of the new lamp holder and bed the bulb and holder into the lens. Let dry over night and reinstall your new low beam headlight. The total cost was about $8.00!

Yep, on this forum we call that the "Mini-Quad Silverstar Conversion" cause everyone who has the Mini-Quads can't stand the poor light output, so they put Silverstar bulbs in them to kick up the light output a notch...

if you really want to beat the system, go to the junkyard and get the sealed beams in Sylvania or Phillips. They have a collar that isn't really bonded, it twists off. Remove old bulb, put in 9006's with or without sealant (provided the O-ring is good you won't need sealant) and reinstall.

yeah...you can pretty much just twist the bulb right out of the socket...like the others said...its been done many times before...in fact, i have Silverstar 9005 & 9006's in my mini-quad housings... :lol: