Running nitrous on a TGP

90TGP

I would say that all depends on the car and its life.. A bone stock off the show room floor would be ok .. but as we all know our cars are far from new.. So I would say If it had a good life..(aka not beat on ) it would be ok .. but If its already needin help new gaskets rings seals .. all the older componets will be pushed posibly to ther break point..

I'm not completely sure how the previous owner took care of the car, but it does appear he/she always had maintenance done to it. The oil always comes out really clean when I change it.

With a specially cast block, and special internal components I'd feel weary about sending one of those rods through the block, or the special oil pan with an oil return fitting.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't risk it on my own....

it's a oil pan.....if you have a hole in it weld it up, its metal. For putting rod thru the block........not gunna get anywhere being scared to push the limits. its only money :wink:

But if you have the boost turned down on your car to the stock level i would say go for the NOS. but if you already have boost up to 12 psi i wouldn't put NOS on until you have forged internals and an aftermarket cam such as curtis has. A flat tappet cam with hydraulic lifters will not hold with 12 psi and NOS. Don't forget you will prolly have to o-ring the block and have copper gaskets so you don't blow the stock gaskets all the time.

Also realize what N20 actually does. It's an oxidizer. It allows for extra 02 to be released into the cylinder. And then more has to come out. Through the straw we call a turbocharger. I wouldn't worry about blowing up the motor, I'd worry about blowing up the tranny. 50 shout would be fine. Just use it as you are SUPPOSED to and make sure it's tuned right, and you will be fine.

With a specially cast block, and special internal components I'd feel weary about sending one of those rods through the block, or the special oil pan with an oil return fitting.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't risk it on my own....

Don't worry about blowing it up. If you do just stick a N/A short block in it. There the same. All your going to lose is the V serial number and about 1 +/- degree of timing. Don't hurt the heads though. They have bigger chambers and as far as I know extremly hard to find.

A 50 shot works good. But as said the tranny is a problem. Plan on spending plenty for the juice cause you can't keep your finger off the button. :lol:

Jud

Guest TurboSedan

Don't worry about blowing it up. If you do just stick a N/A short block in it. There the same. All your going to lose is the V serial number and about 1 +/- degree of timing. Don't hurt the heads though. They have bigger chambers and as far as I know extremly hard to find.

i believe the cylinder blocks are the same also, i can't see any difference between my NA 3.1 block or my TGP block and no one has been able to prove it's 'special'. it just doesn't seem like GM would go that far for such a limited production of Turbo 3.1 engines. just curious, what do mean about the timing being off? i've compared my TGP heads to my '91 NA 3.1 heads and the TGP combustion chambers are shaped slightly different and bigger looking, but i think Shawn Lin mentioned once that the '89 NA 3.1 used the same heads as the TGP.

as far as nitrous goes, i'd be the last person to know :P

i believe the cylinder blocks are the same also, i can't see any difference between my NA 3.1 block or my TGP block and no one has been able to prove it's 'special'. it just doesn't seem like GM would go that far for such a limited production of Turbo 3.1 engines. just curious, what do mean about the timing being off? i've compared my TGP heads to my '91 NA 3.1 heads and the TGP combustion chambers are shaped slightly different and bigger looking, but i think Shawn Lin mentioned once that the '89 NA 3.1 used the same heads as the TGP.

as far as nitrous goes, i'd be the last person to know :P

Here's a quote from one of Jud's posts over at the TGP board.

By the way I am running a N/A crank the one with the little gap between the reluctor ring notches. No problems yet. I never could find any differenc in the cranks other than the reluctor ring. It's maybe a degree different.