Floor Shift Plastic Destroyed..

1990lumina

Hey everyone!

Well, just when I thought everything was going good with the Lumina, I noticed yesterday that on my floor shift (or whatever the correct name for it is) that the plastic clip that holds the shifter to the plastic part that slides as you move the shifter to show what gear you are in poppped off.

I noticed that is was a little cracked, but I said well I'll just super glue it back on there, WRONG THING TO DO! Today, I glued it and it dried. I tried shifting through all the gears (Park, Reverse, Neutral.. all the way to 1st down at the bottom. Somehow the shifter got caught on the plastic slider part and broke it totally. So, I pulled up that plastic clip I had glued and taped it higher up is it isn't touching anymore.

Now that plastic slider that says what gear I'm in is totally destroyed and the hole keeps getting bigger everytime you go from drive to park, and park to drive. It doesn't bother me that the orange thing doesn't say the correct gear (when your in drive it says reverse), but that huge hole looks like shit.

I did a search, but I must not have used the correct keyowrds because I came up with nothing.

How do I replace that piece.. I have to take the top of the shifter off for sure, then probably take the console out? to get that piece of sliding plastic out.

And once I get it back in, how do I make sure this doesn't happen again, since I had noticed that plastic sliding part doesn't slide very easily and it probably why it broken in the firsy place. I'll take a pic and put it up later.

Thanks everyone!!

- Jeff L.

if it's that plastic piece you are talking about or the actual shift that is busted either way it's an easy fix...just get a replacement part. it would pry take 15mins or so to swap out.

The white tape is just holding the plastic clip higher up so it doesn't get jammed.. It is the plastic piece I want to replace..

So, does the console have to come out, or will that blue trim around the shifter just pop off??

- Jeff L.

i see what you mean.

see that clip on the back of your shift handle? use a small screwdriver to pry it out, and press the button and pull up and it should come off. then pull up around where its broken and that whole gear indicator should pop right out. you could just replace the slider piece if you can find one at a junkyard or just grab that whole piece from a junkyard. piece of advise when getting the new unbroken one out of the donar console take out the package tray in the console and reach under and push the clips up to remove the new gear indicator whouthout damageing it.