Radio steering wheel controls

Brian P

1-25-05_007.jpg

pretty simple job, MUCH easier than adding them to the 88-93 cars. Now I'm really thinking the steering wheel needs to be BLACK to better match the dash, yes? Luckily I have a couple spare airbags and steering wheels (I'm thinking of getting a wheelskins cover, if anyone has feedback on that)

OMFG.. that looks exactly like the '94-'96 GP interior... I didn't know they were THAT generic... the only difference I see is the HVAC vents and controls.. :cry:

Regal too, LOL. Drivers side and center of the dash is completely different, except the shape of the cluster. The passenger sides are about identical.

Yep Regal, GP, and Cuttys had the same dash from 95-96 (94 GP and 97 Cutty also) and the center consoles are identical. You can even swap dash clusters between the 3 (as that hasn't been mentioned a million times already.)

Regarding the WheelSkins cover, GET ONE! They're fuckin' awesome. Here's the place I got mine from: http://www.dccarcare.com/whlskns.html

Be sure you get an extra lace so you can do the BASEBALL STITCH.

I put them on both the Reeg and the Loomie (original single-color) and I plan on getting one for the GP (Euro-Perf 2-tone tan and charcoal.)

A word of caution, though: Wear gloves when you stitch the cover up (Mechanix gloves work best) otherwise you'll cut the shit out of your hands/fingers after an hour of tugging on the laces...

Looks great! Too bad the more "modern" wheels weren't available with climate controls.

Actually it's supposed to control the HVAC as well. But since I have a '99 Alero radio in there, it converted all the functions to radio-only. Pretty interesting none-the-less.

so, how hard was the install!?...i'm just curious cause i still might do the swap on mine... :?

Just need patience. You'll have to pull the airbag fuse, remove airbag, remove steering wheel, swap clockspring assemblies, then the 4 extra wires the clockspring has need to be spliced into their respective locations. 2 wires go to the headlight switch (for illumination, one power, 1 ground) and 2 wires go to the radio (one to get the "power in run" source, and 1 goes into E6 of the radio harness) then reassemble, put in the airbag fuse and hope you don't detonate anything.

so, how hard was the install!?...i'm just curious cause i still might do the swap on mine... :?
Go back over to W-Body Source (the main page.) "Vindaloo" has a complete write-up.

Luckily I have a couple spare airbags and steering wheels (I'm thinking of getting a wheelskins cover, if anyone has feedback on that)

do you have any spare wheels & airbags like that with the controls!?...

Disco, how are their shipping rates? If it's under $10 I'll just get it from them. They're about the same price as ebay, and I don't know if you can request a 2nd roll of lace from the ebay sellers. Also how LONG does it take to ship, as I assume the order has to be placed before the cover is made by wheelskins? I'm pretty sure I'm going with sea blue for the top/bottom and black on the sides. Or I'll go for an all black one. But the sea blue is one of the few aftermarket items that is the correct shade for my interior.

I think it's only like 5 or 6 bucks, and he ships them out USPS. I remember mine arriving in 3 days. I think he has everything in stock and it ships directly from him (although the 2 covers I ordered were the "original" with one solid color.) I corresponded with him via e-mail regarding my order and he replied rather quickly. All in all, I'd buy products from him again...

You say the 88-93 stereo control swap is hard...? NAHHHH man its a piece of cake. Plus I do not have to worry about a steering wheel mounted IED going off in my face after reinserting a fuse. :lol: :shock:

I never said it was hard. :lol: This swap out is just easier. And I don't have to worry about cancel-cams that don't contact right, or the infrared transmitters failing, stuff like that. Good thing the fuse is on the passenger side of these cars. LOL. BOOM!

Luckily I have a couple spare airbags and steering wheels (I'm thinking of getting a wheelskins cover, if anyone has feedback on that)

what color is your interior? i can get you a tan wheel and airbag with those controls.

what color is your interior? i can get you a tan wheel and airbag with those controls.

well then, let me know so i can run to the junk yard and make sure it's still there if you want it.

well then, let me know so i can run to the junk yard and make sure it's still there if you want it.

the one your talkin about is for a cutty, right!?...if so, i do want one, but i'd like to know how much its gonna cost first...

BRIAN: is there anything else i'd need besides the wheel and the airbag?...i've read something about some MODULE in other threads!?...