Automotive Reading

kcac

If you have some time to kill - here's some reading for you

Article about the new Monte Carlo - in which the author claims the the w-body is the "...the most money-losing platform in automotive history."

http://www.automobear.com/TheCuriouslyCompellingCaseForMonteCarlo.html

Another one on misteps that led to Olds demise

http://www.automobear.com/WhyOldsmobileDidNotHaveToDie.html

Very interesting read. I think this quote sums up the Monte quite nicely:

There is a pattern here, dear reader, that holds a clue to Monte Carlo's continued relevance. This has persistently been a car that has been late to the party; a car that does not set trends but, rather, proceeds at its own pace and safely changes after others have blazed and mainstreamed the trail.
In a nutshell, that's how the Monte has been all it's life.

I can't believe that Chevy made it to #1 in "car" sales last year! I knew the Impala was a top seller, but I didn't think Chevy would crack #1 ever again.

IMHO, Lutz is a double-edged sword. He totally neutered Pontiac's character (viz the new G6) but breathed new life into Chevy. Chevy 2005 = Pontiac 1995. I could go on, but you get the gist of what I'm trying to say...

That site is awesome. Finally someone who doesn't seem to consistantly and knowingly pander to BMW. I just went through and read a whole bunch of articles in addition to the ones posted and I'd highly suggest anyone reading this do the same. They've got some great content there.