Safe way to remove the 'rubberized' coating on dash trim?

supreme_style21

Is there a safe way to remove that crap thats on the dash trim? Mine is pretty chewed up and peeling off, especially around the upper right cubby. Mainly any place that sees constant contact is starting to peel. I want to remove it all. Is there a way to do that without damaging the good blackness underneath it?

Funny you mention this. I bought a new trim piece for my GP (the one that goes over the radio.) I took my old one to work and tried a couple of different things to strip off the rubber. What worked best was floor stripper. It ate the rubber like nothing, but left the plastic perfect. After letting it soak a bit, I wiped it off with a rag. After everything dried there was a slight haze to the plastic. I haven't done anything else with it yet...

I actually like the rubberized trim. It is pleasing to the touch, except where it's peeling. I really want to put the factory trip computer where it should go, rather than that damn cubby hole. :dammit:

Funny you mention this. I bought a new trim piece for my GP (the one that goes over the radio.) I took my old one to work and tried a couple of different things to strip off the rubber. What worked best was floor stripper. It ate the rubber like nothing, but left the plastic perfect. After letting it soak a bit, I wiped it off with a rag. After everything dried there was a slight haze to the plastic. I haven't done anything else with it yet...

Quite interesting... I'm going to have to take it into work and try it! You should get some pictures.. I wanna see how that looks in its non-grayish form.

I actually like the rubberized trim. It is pleasing to the touch, except where it's peeling. I really want to put the factory trip computer where it should go, rather than that damn cubby hole. :dammit:

Yeah I don't mind it, but mine is to the point of no repair. It just looks pure awful. We'll see how it looks once its stripped.

Now that I think of it, I used a sponge with a Scotch-Brite pad on the back to wipe off the rubber. I've since taken some 80 Grit sandpaper to it to "rough it up" so it doesn't exactly shine anymore. I wouldn't recommend using 80 grit, as it scratches it up too deeply. I think a 200 or 400 grit wet sandpaper would be better for prepping it for paint...