Disabling automatic door locks - revisited

SnowDrift

'93 Grand Prix Special Edition

I asked about this a while back and printed off the directions for what to do. Although, it was simple to do, I only recently got around to doing this. As it turns out, the directions were to disconnect the wire harness coming from the door chime module (white/clear plastic box). This didn't fix my problem, as the doors still automatically lock when the ignition is turned on. I even removed the box altogether and it still didn't accomplish anything I was looking for.

Can anyone help out with this further? These automatic locks are really getting on my nerves. The more I deal with these, the more I feel it may just be best to get a hammer and start smashing things until I smash the right part to disable this "feature." :D

Thanks in advance,

SnowDrift

'93 Grand Prix Special Edition

I asked about this a while back and printed off the directions for what to do. Although, it was simple to do, I only recently got around to doing this. As it turns out, the directions were to disconnect the wire harness coming from the door chime module (white/clear plastic box). This didn't fix my problem, as the doors still automatically lock when the ignition is turned on. I even removed the box altogether and it still didn't accomplish anything I was looking for.

Can anyone help out with this further? These automatic locks are really getting on my nerves. The more I deal with these, the more I feel it may just be best to get a hammer and start smashing things until I smash the right part to disable this "feature." :D

Thanks in advance,

SnowDrift

My '95 SE has a fuse to remove. I'm guessing it's not that easy in the '93 :shrug:

Really, I hadn't tried the fuse as of yet, but am guessing if I pull the fuse, I'll be disabling the power locks altogether. I like the power locks, but just not the auto-locks.

Really, I hadn't tried the fuse as of yet, but am guessing if I pull the fuse, I'll be disabling the power locks altogether. I like the power locks, but just not the auto-locks.

No, I'm referring to the special fuse my Owner's Manual specifies to pull to disable the automatic locks. I've already been locked out of my car once, in heavy snowfall. Yet I've still forgotten to pull it as of yet.

Check your owner's manual. :lol:

No, I'm referring to the special fuse my Owner's Manual specifies to pull to disable the automatic locks. I've already been locked out of my car once, in heavy snowfall. Yet I've still forgotten to pull it as of yet.

how did you get locked out??? my "automatic" locks only engage when the car is put into gear. If I unlocked them when I park the car and run into a store, they are still unlocked when I get back in...then lock again when I put the car back in gear...

how did you get locked out??? my "automatic" locks only engage when the car is put into gear. If I unlocked them when I park the car and run into a store, they are still unlocked when I get back in...then lock again when I put the car back in gear...

A guy I went to school with was in a minor accident with his GP.. in all the hussle, he got out of the car w/o putting it into park. Doors locked and the car proceeded forward. It was kinda funny.

in all the hussle, he got out of the car w/o putting it into park.

Exactly. My friend and I went to see a movie, couple weeks ago when the heavy snowstorm came through. When we got out, the car was covered in snow. I managed to get out of the parking lot, and pulled over in an empty (read: unplowed) intersection because my windshield wipers were frozen. I had Second Gear Start on because the snow was making traction impossible, and it was working wonderfully, except I forgot to put the car into park when I stopped, and both my friend and I got out of the car to break the ice off of the windshield wipers... and immediately he asked me if I locked the doors because he heard them lock.

Luckily, there was a volunteer police squad car 2 parking lots over, so we hiked over there (luckily I'd remembered to put my flashers on) and after they helped who they were helping, we slowly made our way over, and they helped get my doors unlocked.

It was funny, because they were just as flustered as we were. There were 3 of them, and we all crowded into this Crown Vic and made our way over to my car. The 3 volunteers got out of the car and shut the doors. Meanwhile my friend and I are pulling on the door handles, which (being a police vehicle) didn't do shit because the doors were locked and the lock actuators were gone. I had to rap on the window to get their attention so we could get out.

• 4 weeks later...

jeremy,

I got locked out because when I turn the ignition into the "start" position, the doors automatically lock. The engine does not have to be running, but the doors will remain locked in the "run" position, as well after I hit the ignition.

It would not be nearly as frustrating if it only happened when I put it in gear, but this is not the case.

SnowDrift

if that truely is the case, then like shawn said it has to be aftermarket.....
I'll "third" that. Both my Prix and Regal lock when you put it into gear, but the Lumina has an aftermarket Remote Start/RKE system that locks the doors 5 seconds after you switch the key to "ON" (and unlocks when you switch the key off) totally independent of the gearshift...

if that truely is the case, then like shawn said it has to be aftermarket.....

i'll debate that, we got in a 91' lumina euro that does something similiar, key on = lock key off = unlock.

I suppose there is a possibility of it being aftermarket, but I really doubt it, since I'm the second owner on this car and the gal that had it before me doubtfully added anything that wasn't factory. However, there is always a possibility. I may try to contact her about it to see if she had anything done to it like this.

SnowDrift

It HAS to be aftermarket. 93 Grand Prix autolocks was ONLY put in the chime module and nowhere else. You can verify this if you can hear it also trying to lock the doors when you put the car into gear.

91 Lumina does not have auto locks. That car has to have something aftermarket too.

Can you give me an idea of where I should start to look for this? I suppose I'll start in the fuse box to see if there looks to be anything foreign. Where do I look from there?

Thanks,

SnowDrift

When I found the aftermarket alarm in my 94 Cutlass, they'd put it behind the plastic piece under the steering column on the driver side. It was just tucked up into the dash. You can tell aftermarket wiring because it normally doesn't have electrical tape wrapped around it. The module also probably won't be screwed down to anything.

When I found the aftermarket alarm in my 94 Cutlass, they'd put it behind the plastic piece under the steering column on the driver side.

that is the same place my alarm box was in my old '89 LE

I found the RS/RKE box in the Loomie in the same place. It was tie-wrapped to the support beam next to the steering column.

I'd suggest removing both under-dash kick panels, then switch the ignition on and listen for a relay clicking at the same time the locks lock. Or if you're lucky, the module has a red LED on it that will flash when you switch on the ignition...

I don't like them because when someone who doesn't know what's going on tries to get out they pull and pull on the handle before I get a chance to press the UNLOCK button. Then as they pull on the handle with the car in gear, the handle and the lock cancel eachother out the the lock switch goes up and down as they pull the shit out of the handle. Pisses me off.

I'm also guessing aftermarket.. there is a feature I could have got with my Ungo ProSecurity RK-1 that when the car is in run position it locks all the doors..

I also have a funny story about the doors locking... one of my old friends last year was doing some stupid things with his 93 CS and he tried "letting the car drive by itself" and he opened the door while the car was moving and stepped out and the door closed and locked on him while the car is still moving slowly in 1st gear... this is pretty stupid and dangerous but luckily he had another key on him to get back into the car..

- Jeff L.