Steering wheel Control buttons...

Prospeeder

Ok, i wanna take out the steering wheel controls and just put in the the peice that normal grand prixs have that dont have buttons.

100_0097.jpg

To this (Minus the steering wheel cover, lol, just the middle part where the buttons should be

362987_2_full.jpg

Can i do this w/o getting a whole new steering wheel? and if so where would i get one? Junkyard? or can i order one from GM

All you'd really have to do is unplug the buttons and pop the new piece in. You can get them anywhere. I've got a few floating around my apt. somewhere.. junkyards have plenty.

Go to a junkyard and get a steering column without the controls. I don't know if the wheels are compatible. Maybe you can just get a center thingy and take out the wheel controls.

thats what i wanna do, take the center thingie out and replace the controls

I know you can just yank the controls out. I did that the first time I ever went to a junkyard, I yanked them out of the wheel of an SE and just stuck them in my pocket. I was pissed when I found out my old LE wasn't prewired for them. :lol:

i'd say its prolly that simple...it might require a column if you were putting those controls on a car that never had them...but since you're wanting to swap them OFF...it'd prolly work!

It IS as simple as just popping in the plain plastic piece.

I have a plain steering wheel, and a console w/buttons in my basement and they are the same size.

Sunbirds also have similar looking center pieces but I don't know if they are the same size.

I scored a wheel similar to that for my old Grand Am. The center pad was one piece, not like the one pictured with the 2 horn buttons on the sides. You could press anywhere on the pad to sound the horn. IMHO, the solid pad is much better 'cause your natural instinct is to press the center of the wheel to sound the horn.

Just pop out the wheel controls, detach the horn wire, and pop in the new pad. Simple as that...

your natural instinct is to press the center of the wheel to sound the horn.

I actually did that a few times on my old GP. :lol:

IMO the new "pillow" horn pad sucks, as it's hard to just sound a very small beep. You can't tell where the short point is, it's too hard to push, except with your ass. I did that last night trying to get something out of the backseat. :lol:

IMO the new "pillow" horn pad sucks, as it's hard to just sound a very small beep.
Yeah, it's kinda stupid how the whole thing "pivots" at the bottom and you have to more or less press at the top. It's still better than the early 90's Buicks with the spoke-mounted horn buttons. After having a 92 LeSabre for 2 years, I still was pressing on the airbag to try to sound the horn, and I just couldn't get in the habit of reaching for the spokes :lol: .

IMO the new "pillow" horn pad sucks, as it's hard to just sound a very small beep.
Yeah, it's kinda stupid how the whole thing "pivots" at the bottom and you have to more or less press at the top. It's still better than the early 90's Buicks with the spoke-mounted horn buttons. After having a 92 LeSabre for 2 years, I still was pressing on the airbag to try to sound the horn, and I just couldn't get in the habit of reaching for the spokes :lol: .

I just hate how all the horn pads look the same, aside (I guess) from the Cutlass Supreme. The GP and Lumi/Monte horn pad look exactly the same, though the GP/CS cluster are basically the same. It's ODD. :confused:

it's too hard to push, except with your ass. I did that last night trying to get something out of the backseat. :lol:

:lol: getting something out of the backseat huh!?... :roll: ...i say :bs: ...you've been telling us how great a BENCH SEAT is... :wink:

How about when you try to put the volume up and beep the horn by accident?

:oops:

:lol2: I could see myself doing that with the older style GP wheel/buttons! I'd do it several times before noticing I was doing it, too! :lol:

i think there retarded with them, so im takin them out, if not, i might just get a 92-95 Grand Am Steering Wheel, they look alot better, would those work? do i need the whole colum, or just the wheel?

i think there retarded with them, so im takin them out, if not, i might just get a 92-95 Grand Am Steering Wheel, they look alot better, would those work? do i need the whole colum, or just the wheel?
Go from 89-93, as the airbag wheels started in 94. The Grand Am wheel will bolt right up to your steering column. You can bolt up any GM wheel, going all the way back to 1970...

IMO The buttons look too cluttered, and I have an aftermarket pioneer remote that can do all the same with one finger, i'm glad mine doesn't have them. I wish I had a leather wrapped wheel, the, uh, leather steering wheel cover i'm using just isn't quite cutting it. Although it does cover up the remote's strap, so I guess it all works out.

I thought you were a bit off when you said you don't like Cutlass Supremes. Now I know you're just plain nuts. :willynilly:

The buttons kick ass, it's one of my favorite parts, the only thing more cool is the DIC.