Airbag in 88 CS

NORBI

I was just wondering about it. I want to put a steering wheel in my 88 CS with an airbag becuase i want it to look more modern and i like the airbag steering wheel better then one without it, i told my friend about it and then he told me why dont you just install it so it will work, i wanted to know if its possible to do it and how hard would it be. I want to do it only for the looks as they look nicer but when he told me about it i was just curious if it would be possible but its probably hard to do it and could be dangerous in case something goes wrong during drive.

I don't really care for the airbag steering wheel much. I have both, and the non-airbag wheel has MANY more controls, almost 2x as many.

BUT if it's what you really want, I'm almost thinking you will need to replace the whole steering column to use the airbag wheel. For some reason, it's completely different. I've never seen an airbag wheel on the square column. To use the round column, you'd also need to replace the sport pod, piece around the headlight switch, cluster bezel, and that piece that houses the trunk switch because they are all shaped to accommodate the round column. If you have access to a 94 Cutlass at a JY or something, you should be able to get everything you need from it. I'm not sure if 94+ GP has the same column or not, but they probably do.

I do believe making it functional could be potentially dangerous, but it depends on how skillfully you execute the wiring. You would need the SIR module, sensors on the bumper, and to wire it all up. Also if for some reason you pop the bag, perhaps due to a mistake in wiring or you accidentally trip a sensor while working on it, it'll cost a lot of $$$ to buy a new one.

Thats what i thought about connecting it, "Dangerous" so i think i will just get one for the looks, i dont think i be geting a steering wheel column since it would be too much work right now so i think i will just get a wheel and see how it looks.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not so sure the airbag wheel will fit a non-airbag column.

My guess is NO, because why change the entire column, dash trim pieces, etc. when all they added was the airbag?