Phantom Door

supreme_style21

This happens with my passenger door and I can't figure it out. Every once in a great while, it won't open. The interior door handle provides no resistance. The exterior handle does provide the resistance you get when you'd normally open it, but it doesn't open the door. No rhyme or reason behind it. Let it sit and it'll open fine later. The door isn't frozen shut. I've pulled the door apart twice now and I'm getting tired of it. All linkages are adjusted properly, none of the plastic retainer clips are broken. Everything works and appears to be seemingly fine when I pull the panel off. Am I overlooking something? Its getting to be embarassing. Nobody has gotten a good impression of this new car yet... including myself.

Only thought I have it something is slipping, but if it works later on maybe your car is haunted!! Just kidding..

Seems like something is out of adjustment, but if you've done it twice I don't see how.. all I can say is good luck and hopefully someone else can help, don't give up on your car just yet!

- Jeff L.

The only other thing someone suggested was a sagging door. Why that would affect it in the way its acting, I'm not entirely sure. Is it possible for a sagging door to occasionally affect the opening of it?

It sounds to me like you are saying that when it has no resistance it is acting like the door is locked? You pull and nothing happens, mine does that when the doors are locked, maybe there is a lingage that is holding the lock in half position.

In my little Geo Metro if the lock is halfway pushed in, the handle will have a little resistance, but the door won't open unless the lock is all the way in the unlock position.

I don't try to make you sound stupid trying to open a locked door, but I myself have done it many times with the doors clearly locked. :oops:

Also, in my GP neither one of my front lock sliders work, they are both unhooked, or broken or something. So I can't tell whether or not my doors are locked, and I can't lock them without using the power locks. :?

Hope you figure it out, buying a new car can be fun, but it almost always comes with a little work to do. Just look at my previous posts about my vacuum lines in the TGP section :lol:

It sounds to me like you are saying that when it has no resistance it is acting like the door is locked? You pull and nothing happens, mine does that when the doors are locked, maybe there is a lingage that is holding the lock in half position.

In my little Geo Metro if the lock is halfway pushed in, the handle will have a little resistance, but the door won't open unless the lock is all the way in the unlock position.

I don't try to make you sound stupid trying to open a locked door, but I myself have done it many times with the doors clearly locked. :oops:

Also, in my GP neither one of my front lock sliders work, they are both unhooked, or broken or something. So I can't tell whether or not my doors are locked, and I can't lock them without using the power locks. :?

Hope you figure it out, buying a new car can be fun, but it almost always comes with a little work to do. Just look at my previous posts about my vacuum lines in the TGP section :lol:

That is exactly what it is like. I've cycled the locks numerous times 'just in case' something was sticking. Didn't help the cause. I'll have to try look at the linkage tomorrow.

This happens to both of my doors on my regal i ended up rippin the one handle off cuz it pissed me off but then i got a new one and adjusted it and it worked good for some time then started to act up abit and i did notice that my doors do sag when open. I've found that if u put pressure on the door right about the handle and pull the handle it will open. i'd say just adjust ur handles so that they will open with the little effort.

I'm in the "door not fully unlocked" camp on this one. My GP won't open on the driver's side (outside) if you unlock it with the key. The lock cylinder rod is most likely out of adjustment on mine. If I unlock it with the power locks it opens like nobody's business (another reason I installed a cheap Bulldog RKE system :lol: )

In your case, maybe both the inner and outer linkages are out of adjustment, or the lock actuator may not be fully unlocking the door. Either way, it sounds like it might be time for a trip to the boneyard...

WD40 the shit out of everything.

lol... trust me... it got a bath.

I can get you a '89 vintage right door latch if you want, but I don't know if it's the same.

As far as I know personally, it is the same... maybe someone could verify?

Did you WD40 the linkage assembly in the actual part of the door that latches to the body? Maybe something in that mess is slow to move, like the grease has siezed up some, and it's not allowing it to move quickly? :shrug:

Mine does it, mainly when it is pretty cold out, or if there has been some snow or ice.

It really doesn't bother me none. Usually I am able to get in the passenger door, where I start up the car and let it warm up for a while. Seems to help fix it, but I don't really know why(except for maybe the warmth, which was mentioned above).

Did you WD40 the linkage assembly in the actual part of the door that latches to the body? Maybe something in that mess is slow to move, like the grease has siezed up some, and it's not allowing it to move quickly? :shrug:

Yep.. I hit everything related to the door opening.

It doesn't bother me as it is the door I never use, but its embarassing to take someone for a ride in my 'new' car and have all this shit go wrong. Like I said earlier, nobody I've shown it to has had a good impression of it.

It doesn't bother me as it is the door I never use, but its embarassing to take someone for a ride in my 'new' car and have all this shit go wrong. Like I said earlier, nobody I've shown it to has had a good impression of it.

You should trade me. Sedans like you better! ;)

haha I've been vowing away sedans for the past 6 years... but I somehow always ended up getting suckered in by mileage and buying a sedan. I've finally got my coupe! Hasn't been a walk in the woods just yet... hopefully the SOB will straighten up soon...

haha I've been vowing away sedans for the past 6 years... but I somehow always ended up getting suckered in by mileage and buying a sedan. I've finally got my coupe! Hasn't been a walk in the woods just yet... hopefully the SOB will straighten up soon...

I told myself I'd find me a coupe, but somehow this sedan with a bench seat sweet-talked me. I miss having two doors sometimes, but then when I go to the radio station every Sunday night and bring my guitar, it pays off having a back door to put it in.

Bench seats pay off too. :wink: