Oldsmobile DIS Experts

supreme_style21

With no signal for any fuel data, will these units keep beeping and displaying LOW FUEL?

I'm wiring one up to display the GAGES/OIL LIFE/DATE-TIME information.. thats all I want. In a haphazard wiring session I had earlier this year, the LOW FUEL warning kept beeping and flashing. I'm gonna scrap the whole ordeal if that is the case. I don't want any other functions to be visible other than the 3 I've mentioned. Is this gonna be possible?

I should trade you DIS's. My fuel reading is perpetually stuck on 99%, even when I am riding on empty. That portion of my DIS is fried I believe.

That would be ideal, but I doubt you want this one. The wire harness has been removed and the case.. well.. doesn't exist for the most part.

Is this going into your GP? Where is it going in there?

The plans are for the GP.. into the non-existant overhead console. I've got a buddy that is insanely awesome with fiberglassing and whatnot, so I just gave him all the pieces.. we'll see how it turns out.

BUT if that low fuel beep is always going, I'm gonna chuck it all into the trash.

Guest Anonymous

I thought about doing that for the 92, but it never materialized. I might add some faux gauges in there if the car ever gets fixed. I've also thought of making a custom fiberg;ass upper dash that would house a 94-5 DIC and one of the 97+ DIC's, but again, it never became anything.

I do, however, have the DIC from a 98 coming, and thats going into the 95.

I thought about doing that for the 92, but it never materialized. I might add some faux gauges in there if the car ever gets fixed. I've also thought of making a custom fiberg;ass upper dash that would house a 94-5 DIC and one of the 97+ DIC's, but again, it never became anything.

I do, however, have the DIC from a 98 coming, and thats going into the 95.

It would be easier to wire it up to a 1992. The ONLY reason I want it is because of the digital readout for the Coolant Temp/Charging System. Otherwise the other functions are completely worthless to me.

Guest Anonymous

uh... OBD 1.5 vs OBD 2....

I'm gutting the DIC. All the dummy lights I have on my cluster... and I'm going to rig it so that when the lights come on in the cluster, they will light up in the dic as well. Some functions will be dead (like trunk ajar), but others will work. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of next week.

I'm gutting the DIC. All the dummy lights I have on my cluster... and I'm going to rig it so that when the lights come on in the cluster, they will light up in the dic as well. Some functions will be dead (like trunk ajar), but others will work. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of next week.

sounds interesting...

It would be easier to wire it up to a 1992. The ONLY reason I want it is because of the digital readout for the Coolant Temp/Charging System. Otherwise the other functions are completely worthless to me.

There are easier ways to get a digital readout of coolant temp and volts, ya know...

Guest Anonymous
It could also match the GP's interior lighting..

Well if he put red lighting behind the buttons of the DIS it would. The green digital display would match our newer DIC.

There are easier ways to get a digital readout of coolant temp and volts, ya know...

And what would that be? I don't want any aftermarket gauges.

Just get a red LED digital voltmeter and temp-meter. If you get digital panel meters or some kind of open-frame meter, they won't look like aftermarket gauges.

Put it behind some black tinted lexan. It would look a lot more factory than how the DIS contraption you're building sounds like it will look.

Just get a red LED digital voltmeter and temp-meter. If you get digital panel meters or some kind of open-frame meter, they won't look like aftermarket gauges.

Put it behind some black tinted lexan. It would look a lot more factory than how the DIS contraption you're building sounds like it will look.

Thats the thing.. I have no idea how its going to look. Like I said, if it looks gaudy, its going in the trash. How do these LED gauges hook up?

Guest Anonymous

I saw an assload of the red digital gauges on ebay. I was thinking on getting the voltometer one, but its like $60, and im not sure where I could even mount it. all my cubbys and such are filled with DIC's that dont belong.