89' grand prix gauges acting strange

White93z34

on this same 89' LE i've been working on i need to do something about the gauges on it. it has the peuedo digital gauges with speed and gas digital and the rest analog.

the oil psi gauge goes nuts, but thats in the sender

and both Oil and Temp idiot lights are on all the time, as well as the gas gauge... it acts strange sometimes reads 100% full, other times reads the proper 3/4 tank it actually has.

on this same 89' LE i've been working on i need to do something about the gauges on it. it has the peuedo digital gauges with speed and gas digital and the rest analog.

the oil psi gauge goes nuts, but thats in the sender

and both Oil and Temp idiot lights are on all the time, as well as the gas gauge... it acts strange sometimes reads 100% full, other times reads the proper 3/4 tank it actually has.

those clusters are shit....I replaced the one in my '89 3.1LE when it started to do that..the gas gauge will get worse with time, don't be surprised if the speedo stops working intermitently too....

Guest Anonymous

John, That one you sent me still works fine. I guess i'm just lucky with that.

Chris, these digital clusters are notorious for going bad, so it should probably be replaced.

I think the solder joints in that cluster go bad easily. I'd swap it out for the normal needles cluster, or try to find a known good one with similar mileage.

Well, you would have to match the odometers up at some point, otherwise you could never sell the car legally, because the odometer would not reflect the true mileage...(i think)

you could find a notary public and have him sign a document with new & old cluster's milage, or just say that the odometer has exceeded mechanical limits..

Well, you would have to match the odometers up at some point, otherwise you could never sell the car legally, because the odometer would not reflect the true mileage...(i think)

you can sell it legally but you can't legally claim it is actual mileage....