Changed my spark plug wires.. holy shit. (sorta long)

digitaloutsider

I finally threw down the whole $15 for new spark plug wires for my car. The 15-year-old 190k mile stockers just weren't cutting it anymore.. I started pulling them at around 2 am, when I realized I didn't have a 10 mm socket to get the coolant bottle out of the way. I proceeded to visit the 24-hour AutoZone and chunk down $20 on a 24 piece 3/8" drive socket set. I needed it anyway, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I get back and start disassembling the car. What a fucking pain in the ass. I decided to do the front wires first, since they were easier to get to (in my head anyway). I changed those, and was rocking the engine forward BY MYSELF when the desk lamp I was using for close up lighting fell off the car and onto the ground, shattering the bulb. "FUCK." There's no WAY I could see shit, and there's no way possible I was going to drive to work with 3 new and 3 old spark plug wires.

I went inside and found a florescent type bulb. Screwed it in and we were back in business. I hooked the wire onto my hood latch and continued working. All of a sudden I hear a CRASH and the garage goes dim again. I look down to see my replacement bulb shattered on the ground next to my desk lamp. Soaking in what just happened, I ONCE AGAIN returned inside to find a bulb. Burning myself, I pulled the bulb from the light in my room. Screwed THIS one and I was back to tooling on the mistake known as the 3.1 ignition system.

I do the back plug wires and plug them into the ICM. I put all my tools away, rock the engine back, and get in to feel the soon-to-be awesome power of the new wires. I turn the key. Trrrr-trrrr-trrr. Won't start. Turns out I crossed the 1st and 3rd plug wires. Swap 'em around and start the car. I barely had to turn the key at all for it to actually turn over. I usually have to keep it turned for about two seconds or so for it to start.

I get out on the road to about 25 and punch it. Holy.. fuck. I immediately felt the difference in my butt dyno (I know you people think I'm crazy, but I'm getting to the proof). I pull out onto Old National and stop. 0-60 time. My previous best after the fuel filter change was 9.4. Pathetic. I press the pedal to the floor. BOTH tires actually spin and the car launches like I don't remember ever feeling before. 7-point-fucking-9 seconds. I dropped nearly 2 seconds from just spark plug wires. Amazing.. I honestly can't express my joy right now..

Moral of this story: Don't leave 15-year-old spark plug wires on your car.

Current "mods": K&N drop in with gutted airbox, brand new fuel filter, 10k old AC Delco RapidFires, brand new spark plug wires.

What kind of plug wires did you end up getting for $15? I might have to do that to my 3100. The plug wires are stripped up near the ICM, and I think that's causing a chattering noise while accellerating.

i remember pulling my ACdelcoes and replacing with cheep plugwires.. then i remember replacing the cheep plug wires and replacing the cheep wires AGAIN 3 times and i gave up and went accel...

my god after i changed my ac delco plugs and wires last year i didn't really feel that much of a difference...

:werd:

did solve a vibration/shuddering problem, but made no performance difference.

What kind of plug wires did you end up getting for $15? I might have to do that to my 3100. The plug wires are stripped up near the ICM, and I think that's causing a chattering noise while accellerating.

:withstupid: did you get acdelco wires for 15 bucks? the only ones i can get around here that cheap are the advance auto parts in-house wires.

I can get the Delco wires for $28 for the 3100. Gotta love the commercial disounts.

Actually I got delco wires, before the discount, for $29 w/tax. Where are you getting yours from, dealer?

****Current "mods": K&N drop in with gutted airbox, brand new fuel filter, 10k old AC Delco RapidFires, brand new spark plug wires.****

Thats pretty sad to call them mods. Thats just plain maintenance you just did.

Dont be proud of that. Hang your head in shame for letting it get that bad.

==95gtp

I can get the Delco wires for $28 for the 3100. Gotta love the commercial disounts.

Actually I got delco wires, before the discount, for $29 w/tax. Where are you getting yours from, dealer?

An AC distributor. Haven't checked the stealership. IIRC, the things were near 60 bucks before. Where you get yours?

dude you have a 3.1 and theres no way you got 7.9 my car does like 10.2 which is what its spos to be around, 9.4 is kinda low to begin with, but 7.9 thats 3.4 dohc territory

****Current "mods": K&N drop in with gutted airbox, brand new fuel filter, 10k old AC Delco RapidFires, brand new spark plug wires.****

==95gtp

Wrong thread. If you cant contribute something relative to the thread, dont post

==95gtp

Wrong thread. If you cant contribute something relative to the thread, dont post

owned-wall%20tape.jpg

==95gtp

I didn't ask you to be an assfuck. Note how I put mods in quotations? Half of it was meant as a joke. If you don't have anything to contribute here, fuck off. No one wants to hear your bullshit.

dude you have a 3.1 and theres no way you got 7.9 my car does like 10.2 which is what its spos to be around, 9.4 is kinda low to begin with, but 7.9 thats 3.4 dohc territory
It was timed with a stopwatch. I'll get a video eventually. I spun both tires, which put the speedo right up to 20, and it just climbed from there. It barely had any gas in it, though.

An AC distributor. Haven't checked the stealership. IIRC, the things were near 60 bucks before. Where you get yours?

Roadside auto parts.

I didn't ask you to be an assfuck. Note how I put mods in quotations? Half of it was meant as a joke. If you don't have anything to contribute here, fuck off. No one wants to hear your bullshit.

:flip:

Know I know why you have 2 imprisonments.

Sorry this site has gone to shit. Just like the last weeks of "EFI Street".

:flip:

Know I know why you have 2 imprisonments.

Sorry this site has gone to shit. Just like the last weeks of "EFI Street".

Learn how to type before you try making comments