VIN Decoding Question

fastbird232

The badge on the back says GTP, I'm sure of that much. But I was reading the VIN decoding page on the main page, and I've got J for the model digit, which reads, "Grand Prix LE 88-90, or SE 91+," instead of the digit that corresponds to the GTP model. Is there any other way of finding out whether this is a genuine GTP or simply a rebadged car? And out of curiousity, what exactly is the difference between a GTP and something like an SE or LE?

I'm sorry, tdc and b4u mean...?

tdc is TWIN DUAL CAM...that refers to the 3.4 TWIN DUAL CAM engine...but, i've also been wondering what all this gp stuff like B4U means? :lol:

Well, the Non B4U wasnt an LE, like u show, it was like the TGP and 91-93 GTP Effects kit, Trim and all that good stuff, the second one is right, the B4U was the 94-96 Effects Package, The B4U just refers to the Body Style doesnt it??

Well, the Non B4U wasnt an LE, like u show, it was like the TGP and 91-93 GTP Effects kit, Trim and all that good stuff, the second one is right, the B4U was the 94-96 Effects Package, The B4U just refers to the Body Style doesnt it??

the le was the only other pic i oculd find right away that wasn't b4u. the tgp, if i recall correctly, had what was called the b4m kit. and although i'm not certain, i think the rest of the cars with miniquads were b4u. but that's a guess

Those charts on the main page are not entirely accurate. They say that mine is a base Cutlass Supreme, when in fact it is a Cutlass Supreme SL.

the chart is correct somewhat, the 88-91 Cutlass Supreme were WH and the 95-97 are WH too

There are numerous appearance packages on the Grand Prix.

Base (88-91): No fog lights, no split grille up front, no ground effects.

Base (92-96 coupe): Miniquads. Nothing else. No ground effects.

Base (92-96 sedan): Lightbar. Nothing else. No ground effects.

BYP (88-91): Z7M front end, foglights, split grille, ground effects, dual exhaust.

BYP (92-96 coupe): Miniquads, ground effects, dual exhaust. No fender flares.

BYP (92-96 sedan): Lightbar. Ground effects, Dual exhaust.

B4M (89-90 Turbo Grand Prix): Composite headlights, foglights, fender flares, edgier wider bumpers, ground effects.

B4U (90-93 SE/GTP): Miniquads, foglights, fender flares, edgier wider bumpers, ground effects.

B4U (94-96 SE/GTP): Miniquads, foglights, fender flares, rounded off wider bumpers, ground effects.

There's plenty of sedans with dual. I'm not at all sure on this, but it might be a 3.4 realted option like the hood vents.

I believe there were some GP GT's that had dual exhaust and ground effects.

Sedans never had Duel Exhaust, and they did have Ground Effects, so ur a bit off
Sedan's had dual. My car is proof. I got my ground effects off a sedan. STE's also had dual exhaust. You're a bit off, it seems.