my day and my problem with the water leak.....(Pics)

GPdriver1986

I know you guys are tired of me talking about my water leak that i have on my drivers side floor pan. Today I went out there to check it out.........

The car...

396539_15_full.jpg

Some drivers side door rust, i'm gonna fix it soon, sand it down and spray paint in with Tremclad Gloss White rust paint.

396539_16_full.jpg

396539_17_full.jpg

My deck

396539_19_full.jpg

The water leak:

396539_18_full.jpg

I put a pair old shorts in there to keep the floor dry, this is whats there after 2 days, it was pouring outside yesterday.

Apparantley there are 2 leaks, one of them is in a place where i had it sealed up and the water still seems to be sweating through the silicone. I'll patch it with something. I found this out by taking a hose and soaking the car to simulate a rain storm.

396539_20_full.jpg

Then I seem to have a leak here, this is on the corner weld of the body just by the e-brake. I can't see anything past the e-brake. Another thing i noticed is the weather stripping at the back of the hood is kinked severly due to the underhood light cable. So i'll have to grab one from the wreckers. I think this is where the water is coming from. I checked the windshield seal by removing one of the panels in the interior and it seems to be dry.

as of now the rust/bondo glazing is not there, i did a quick repair, like 5 minutes, sanded it down and spray painted, it looks like shit but at least its better than that.

Probably not, it should jusdt run down the side of the firewall... unless one or more of you gormets are cracked and leaking water in through the firewall... maybe the steering wheel boot thing on the firewall is cracked and leaking??

- Jeff L.

Tell you what.... I am by no means a body expert, but I do have a suggestion for you.....

I have had to learn a couple of things about these cars-vs-northern weather/salt.

You NEED 3 things to combat rust and win if you live in the north.

POR 15

Fiberglass skills

LPS Zinc spray

Regaurding that door....

Sand it down a little to get the paint off , then on the exposed rust use POR-15, then paint over OR sand it down to shiny metal, and use the zinc spray, then paint.....

I have been combating rust on my cutty for 3 years, and I think I have finally won..... :wink:

thanks for the tip, but by no means am i a good body mechanic, i bought this car with rusted rockers (rusted to hell), I got it for 750$ CAD with only 110k miles (the odometer worked intermittently). What i did with the rockers is i just covered them up with some thick metal (prebent). The car came out to like $1500 with everything done, so far i have invested into brake lines (rusted, almost crashed the car), muffler, and alternator, to keep the car on the road. I see cars that are worse than mine but i try to keep it as nice as possible for now, just so i can sell it later on for a bit, i'm not gonna make money on it because its old so i might as well just enjoy it for now and just not put much effort into. I hate salt, snow, rain, and bad previous owners but what am i gonna do about it. I also put some grease on them bottom of the door panel.

I checked the steering shaft right by the pedals and there is no water there.

I'm thinking it could be the windshiled because theres a little piece of black strip that is coming off at the bottom. And also the hood weatherstripping is possible because why did GM put it there in the first place? I checked the passengers side strut tower and its dry and dusty compared to the drivers side its clean.